Police Beat

Man allegedly threatens friend after ride dispute

Police responded to a call for possible threats and intimidation Nov. 10 at 9 p.m.

The man who called the officers said that he was attending a UA women’s volleyball game at McKale Center with his friend on Nov. 7. During the game, the man informed his friend that he was going to have to take the bus home because the man was not going to give the friend a ride. The friend became upset and told the man, “”I’ve got to get home,”” and, “”You wait, I’m going to get you. “” The man said that he felt threatened by this and made his way to his vehicle.

The man said that his friend followed him to his car and said he was going to “”get your car and do something to ruin your car,”” and, “”I’m going to get your wheels. You better watch out.”” The man said he got into his vehicle, locked the doors and drove away.

The next day the man said that his friend called him to see if he was going to the volleyball game that evening because he wanted to beat the man up. The man told his friend that he did not know how to fight back so his friend could just beat him up.

The man told police that he did not make contact with the man after that, and there were no witnesses to the events. He also said he wanted to press charges.

Police contacted the man’s friend. The friend told officers that he had no idea why he was being contacted by them. He explained that he had been friends with the man for seven years. The friend said the man had told him to take the bus home after the game and he had become upset because he had been told this after the last bus had left. He said he did not make any threatening statements or actions toward the man, who seemed upset because of the results of the volleyball game.

The men were advised not to contact each other again.

Woman blames DUI on poor health, foliage

Police stopped a car for reportedly running two stop signs on Nov. 10 at 1:03 a.m.

After seeing a car going north on Park Avenue run through the intersections of James E. Rodgers Circle and Second Street and then turn right onto Speedway Boulevard, an officer pulled the car over. The car pulled to the side of Speedway and had to be advised to move into an intersection near where it had been stopped.

The officer immediately noticed a strong smell of intoxicants coming from the vehicle. The officer advised the woman that she had been pulled over for not stopping at two stop signs. She said, “”I know. I was talking on my cell phone.””

The officer then asked if she had been drinking that evening. She said that she had consumed a few cocktails earlier with her girlfriends. When asked how much earlier that was, she said a half hour. Her eyes were watery and bloodshot. She was asked to step out of the vehicle.

The officer began to ask pre-test questions. When asked if she had diabetes, the woman said yes and no before explaining that she had been tested earlier that day. She also told the officer that she had problems with her equilibrium and on occasion “”randomly falls over.”” She said that her hip was dislocated and she also had back problems. The officer then asked if she was willing to perform a field sobriety test, which she refused.

The woman was taken to the University of Arizona Police Department to take part in a breath test. She was tested twice, with blood-alcohol contents of .106 and .104. She repeatedly told officers that she was fine to drive and had not stopped because the stop signs were covered by trees, so she could not see them until she was five feet away from them.

The woman’s vehicle was parked and secured close to where she was arrested. She was arrested on charges of DUI and failure to stop for a stop sign. She was released to a friend, who was told to take her home.

UA Mall vendor allegedly spits on man

A woman was arrested on charges of assault Nov. 11 at 4:25 p.m.

Police responded to the information desk at the Student Union Memorial Center in reference to a reported assault. They made contact with a man who said that approximately eight minutes prior to their arrival, he was on the UA Mall looking at an American Indian jewelry display and sales tent. He said that he asked the female who was selling the items a question.

The woman became upset and began to yell at him. She told him to go away, saying, “”I am tired of rude gentlemen.”” She continued yelling at him for more than a minute, shouting several obscenities and telling him to go back to where he came from.

As the man moved further away from her, he said that she approached him, and was less than a foot away from him when she spat on him. He said that her saliva landed on his bare-skinned forearm.

The man said that he left the area. He did not speak to the woman during the altercation. There was a witness to the assault, and the man said that he wanted to press charges. He and the witness said they would be able to identify the woman again.

Police observed a female matching the description the man gave them near the ROTC building. They made contact with her. Both the man and the witness identified the woman as the one who had spit on the man.

She was placed under arrest on charges of assault and taken to the Pima County Jail, where she was booked.