Police Beat: Nov. 5

Mystery fire started near bus stop

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a bus stop at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and University Boulevard on Oct. 28 at 4:46 p.m. in reference to a fire. Upon arrival, officers observed a blue recycling bin with flames coming out of it. A large crowd was gathered around the fire. Police were able to locate a fire extinguisher and use it to put out the blaze. The bus stop sustained no damage and no bystanders were injured. According to a witness, a man in his 60s was standing next to the bin moments before it caught fire. Police were able to locate a man matching the description given by the witness. A records check of the man revealed an outstanding UAPD warrant for failure to appear on a shoplifting charge. The man was placed into custody and searched. On his person, police found two lighters, a book of matches, rolling paper, and tobacco. The man was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked for the warrant.

Skateboarder breaks through gate in Sixth Street Garage

UAPD officers were on patrol in the Sixth Street Garage on Oct. 28 at 10:48 p.m. when they observed a man skateboarding through the structure. Officers watched as the man rode his skateboard through a gate arm on the east side of the garage. The arm broke and the man fled on foot. Officers were unable to locate the man. According to police, the man was wearing an orange hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans. Parking and Transportation Services was issued a Victim’s Rights form. Police have no additional suspect information at this time.

Friends have falling out near McClelland Hall

UAPD officers responded to McClelland Hall at 1130 E. Helen St. on Oct. 29 at 9:24 a.m. in reference to a fight on the south side of the building. On arrival, officers met with a UA professor. The professor told police that at about 9:15 a.m., a student in his class was crying when he approached the teacher and told him that he had been struck in the face by a friend earlier in the day. The student then left the classroom and returned several minutes later, bleeding from his head. The student told his teacher that he had been assaulted and identified his attacker. Police located the attacker and questioned him about the incident. He told police that he had been the man’s friend for about nine years, but the two had begun arguing lately. He further told police that the man had been driving him to school that morning and when they began to argue, he admitted to punching the man in the mouth. He told police he then exited the vehicle and took the bus to school. He told police that he met his friend outside McClelland Hall and stated, “”I just want to talk.”” He admitted that the men began to wrestle and told police that the man fell backward into a concrete trashcan, striking his head and causing a laceration. Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene and evaluated the man’s injuries. Based upon his own admission, police placed the attacker under arrest on two assault charges. He was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Man uses women’s bathroom to hide from alleged attacker

UAPD officers responded to the UA Main Library on Oct. 29 at 4:21 p.m. in reference to suspicious activity. On arrival, officers met with an employee of the library. She told police that an unknown woman had approached her and told her that an unknown man had entered a women’s restroom on the first floor. The employee waited outside the restroom and confronted the man when he exited. Police contacted the man, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. According to the man, he had been in the library to use the computers. While waiting, he saw a man who he claimed had assaulted him one month earlier. The man stated that the assault was documented by the Tucson Police Department, but he did not remember the case number. The man stated that he had feared for his safety and fled the area and hid in the first open door he had come to and did not know the restroom was for women only until the employee informed him. Officers asked the man if he had entered the restroom to spy on women and he stated that he had not. According to police, nobody reported being victimized by the man. Police warned him against entering any women’s restrooms, in the library or in any other building on campus.

Man makes rude remarks to fellow employee

UAPD officers responded to a loading dock on the west side of the Health Sciences Center on Oct. 29 at 5:37 p.m. in reference to a male employee harassing a female employee. On arrival, officers met with the female employee, who told police that the male employee had been harassing her for the last three months. The woman was visibly upset and claimed that earlier that day, the man had told her, “”Too bad you’re not a man. I would hit you.”” The woman also claimed that the man called her a “”bitch.”” Officers spoke to the male employee, who admitted to arguing with the woman, but claimed that she had accused him of being drunk. According to a supervisor, the man was a temporary employee that was hired from a contracting firm. The supervisor further stated that the man would be asked to leave the position and not return to campus any more. Police informed the man of the supervisor’s decision and escorted him to his vehicle. They also warned him that returning to campus could result in criminal charges for trespassing.