Police Beat: July 6

Student with beer, pills disturbs La Paz

Around midnight on June 30, a University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call at La Paz Residence Hall about illegal alcohol and drug use by a student. The officer approached the student in question in the hall. The student said he was staying in the residence hall for orientation with his roommate. The officer noted he smelled strongly of alcohol and his eyes were watery and bloodshot. The student let the officer into his room, where the officer noted three bottles of Heineken beer in the trash. The officer also noticed white residue on the desk next to the student’s residence hall access card and a white pill. The student reached into his pockets and begin to stand up several times. The student ignored the officer’s command to stop and the officer handcuffed the student. The student admitted to drinking earlier and said one of his friends had sold him a pill and half of a Xanax for $7. The student was cited and released.

Two beers, two officers and one arrest

Two UAPD officers were talking in the Circle K parking lot at Sixth Street and Cherry Avenue around 1:30 a.m. on June 30 when a vehicle pulled up to their squad car and two men got out. The passenger went into the store while the driver made a comment to the officers and waited for a response. The officer said he did not understand the comment and noted the man appeared to be having trouble expressing his thoughts. The officer asked if he was talking about a movie and the man responded he didn’t think they had made a movie about it yet. The other officer asked the man how much he had to drink and he responded that he had been drinking. He walked unsteadily and tried multiple times to put his key in the lock of the car. He gave the officers his license, registration and insurance. The man said he had two beers earlier. The officers conducted a DUI test and the man was placed under arrest on charges of DUI impaired to the slightest degree.  

Tube-ular theft at Main Library

A UAPD officer responded to a call from outside of the Main Library at 9:30 a.m. on June 30. A man reported to the officer that someone had stolen the innertube from his bicycle’s front tire during the short time he was inside. He stated that his bike was secured on the rack, but that his cable was not long enough to secure the front wheel. He said it would be very easy for someone to take the front wheel off, pull the tube out and put the wheel and tire back on the bike. A victim’s rights form was mailed to the man’s P.O. box.

Man has drinking problem, cops have problem with his drinking

A UAPD officer went to Seventh Street and Warren Place to respond to a report of  a man who had been drinking in public on June 30. The officer approached the man, who said he was waiting for his shift as a bartender to start. There was an open 18-pack of 12 oz. Budweiser beer in front of him. He said he had consumed three of the beers. The man admitted he had a problem with alcohol and wanted to get better. The officer took the beer for disposal and the man went on his way. Approximately 15 minutes later, the officer was advised via radio that the same man was in possession of another 18-pack of Budweiser. The officer went to the area and watched as the man placed the beer in the bushes near the stadium and walked away. The officer approached the man again, who said he was hiding the beer there and planned to retrieve it later. The officer arrested the man on suspicion of criminal littering.