M-golf concludes season on low note

The Arizona men’s golf team completed its second disappointing tournament in a row yesterday at the CordeValle Collegiate in San Martin, Calif.

The Wildcats finished the 11-team tournament in eighth place at 22 over following a 5-over round, the team’s best of the tournament.

Spearheading the round for Arizona was freshman Jonathan Khan, making his first varsity start. Khan shot a 5-under 67 to climb 22 spots on the leaderboard to 38th.

“”All week long we had been missing that one really low score,”” said UA assistant coach John Knauer. “”We finally got it (yesterday) with (Khan’s) 67. That made a huge difference.””

The best Wildcat finish belonged to another freshman, Roberto Galleti, who ended play in 20th place at 2 over.

Galleti continued to play solidly,”” Knauer said. “”He’s back on the right track.””

Despite the play of the freshmen, Arizona did not have the kind of tournament it had hoped for.

Obviously, finishing eighth was a disappointment,”” Knauer said. “”Our guys are down. Everyone needs to work on being more consistent and being in the moment. They have to understand how critical each shot is. But there were some positives, some things to look forward to.””

The team is idle until Jan. 28, when the Wildcats host the PING-Arizona Collegiate. Knauer likes Arizona’s chances in the spring.

The younger guys are continuing to get better, and the older guys should also get better entering a more familiar spring season,”” he said. “”You try to get better each time out and hope to peak toward the end of the year.

Golf is a growing and learning experience, and our guys are still learning about the game,”” he added. “”We’ve got a long way to go, but I think we’ll get there.””