Police Beat: Nov. 3

All that and a bag of chips

An unknown man approximately college-aged was seen urinating on 24 bags of various Frito-Lay potato chips marked for sale on a shelf in Highland Market on Sunday, at 2:05 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Highland Market at 3:23 a.m. to meet with the manager of the store who also happened to be the witness that made the report of the damaged merchandise.

The manager explained that at 2:05 a.m., a man who was wearing a white T-shirt and black pants had come in to Highland Market and urinated on 24 separate bags of chips. The manager tried to stop the man while he called the police, but the man ran away from the store and was able to flee the scene. He informed UAPD that he is checking surveillance cameras to see if the man made any purchases so that they can track his information through his CatCard. He will advise UAPD if he finds any of this information from footage.

Twenty of the bags that the man urinated on were marked for sale at $3.99 each, a total value of $79.80.

The manager told the officer that he believes the man is a frequent visitor of Highland Market and a student at the UA. The officer is requesting this case to be forwarded to detectives for follow-up, including requesting a copy of the surveillance footage and obtaining CatCard purchase information on the man.

New kid in town

A taxicab driver contacted a UAPD officer on Sunday at 1:06 a.m. to tell him that there was a woman passed out in his cab.

The cab driver told the officer that the woman had flagged him down near a fraternity house on campus, and that once she got in the car she told the driver that she was from Nebraska and wanted to go to the airport. The woman passed out shortly after.

The driver said it was then that he saw the officer near the area and decided to let him know what was going on. The woman was carrying a cell phone with a dead battery and a credit card. A records check could not identify her.

When the officer tried waking the woman up, she just mumbled. The officer detected the smell of alcohol on her breath. He then called for medics to report to the scene.

Tucson Fire Department arrived and the woman was subsequently transported to University Medical Center by ambulance. At approximately 5:45 a.m., the officer went to UMC to talk to the woman again.

When the officer arrived, she was able to sit up and answer questions. She identified herself verbally with a name matching the one on the credit card. She explained that she was visiting some of her friends who attend UA from out-of-state. She said her group drank alcohol at several parties before she got separated from her friends.

The woman would not give the addresses of where the parties were held. She was cited and released for minor in possession. The cell phone and credit card that were found in the cab were returned to her.

Endless cycle of missing bicycles

A student reported that her bicycle was stolen on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The bicycle had been parked at the bike rack near the McKale Center. The student told UAPD that she had the bicycle at 11:03 a.m. on Saturday, when she secured it to the racks. She locked it using a cable lock that wrapped around the front tire and frame of the bicycle, which was now cut and left at the scene.

Earlier that day, she got a ride home from another UA student and left the bicycle at the bike racks overnight. When she came back the next day at 1 p.m., it was missing.

The bicycle was not registered with Parking and Transportation Services and the serial number was not available. The woman had no suspect information.