Frat dresses drag for money

Christopher Newman, a social studies education senior and president of Delta Lambda Phi, dances in a sparkly pink jumpsuit and wig at Colors nightclub, 5305 E. Speedway Blvd., last night. Newman and other members of Delta Lambda Phi performed to raise funds to purchase a charter for their fraternity, one of the last steps to being officially recognized.

unleashing the queens

Men put on dresses, high heels and wigs last night and took the stage to raise funds for a recently recognized fraternity.

Delta Lambda Phi, a gay and bisexual fraternity, put on “”Unleashing the Queens”” to raise funds to pay for a charter.

Members of the fraternity, which was recognized as an official campus fraternity in February by the Interfraternity Council, dressed in drag and entertained a crowd of more than 70 by dancing and lip-syncing.

Journalism senior Alex Grubb, a member of Delta Lambda Phi, said the fraternity put on a successful amateur drag show last February and decided to try it again.

“”It draws a lot of people, and it’s more fun than a professional drag show because it’s spontaneous,”” he said.

Numbers performed included TLC’s “”Red Light Special”” and 50 Cent’s “”Candy Shop.””

One member wearing a bright pink glittery jumpsuit complete with a pink wig proved to be a crowd favorite. All of the members interacted with the audience, giving lap dances and accepting tips.

The event was held at Colors, 5305 E. Speedway Blvd., from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., and there was a $5 entry charge. The money will be used to pay for the fraternity’s charter, which costs $65 a member. Delta Lambda Phi currently has 18 members, Grubb said.

The fraternity was originally founded in 1991, but it folded in 1993. Grubb said getting a charter will be one of the last steps the fraternity has to take to become official.

He said he’s excited about Delta Lambda Phi starting up again on campus.

“”I never thought I’d be in the Greek system,”” he said. “”It’s been great, I’ve met a lot of people I wouldn’t have otherwise.””

Hostess Ajia Simone, a professional drag queen, entertained the crowded bar between performances and joked that Delta Lambda Phi is the “”first openly gay fraternity on campus.””

Grubb said some members were glad to perform in drag, while others had to be talked into it.

Psychology sophomore Larry Muth, a member of Delta Lambda Phi, said he participated in the last fraternity-sponsored drag show and said it’s a fun experience.

“”It’s very liberating,”” he said. “”It’s always a big hit.””

Pre-education freshman Ria Martinez said she came to support her friend who is a member of the fraternity.

“”I love drag shows,”” she said. “”I’ve gotten a lot of lap dances.””

Martinez said she thinks it’s great that a gay fraternity has come back to campus.

“”It’s about time,”” she said. “”We’re in a place now were everything can be accepted.””

After the drag show there was a hot body contest. The contest was open to men and women from the audience and cost $10 to enter. To the sound of boos from the audience women were told to keep their clothes on, while men were told they could only remove their shirts.

The winner took home half of the entry fee money collected.