Out and about in Tucson: this week in July

Wednesday, July 17

Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Rialto Theatre, 7 p.m. doors

Returning to Arizona after a long hiatus, Rodrigo y Gabriela will be gracing Tucson with their presence. This Mexican acoustic duo is internationally known for their samples on Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides and Shrek. Their career success includes 1.2 million in album sales and consecutive sold out tours. See them live with Zach Heckendorf.

Thursday, July 18

Jewish Community Center Fine Art Gallery, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.

A new exhibit will feature the work of Gary Swimmer’s drawings set in a steel media. Routine Despondency will be open to the public from July 18 – Aug. 14. The artist’s reception will be held on July 25, 5 p.m.-7 p.m.

OPTI CLUB Presents: Jerome LOL, Hotel Congress, $3, 9 p.m.

Hotel Congress’ OPTI CLUB invites you to laugh along to Jerome Potter of Los Angeles’ LOL Boys. If jokes and dancing aren’t incentive enough, the first 200 people through the door will receive a free OPTI CLUB membership.

Friday, July 19

Hey Baby! Art Against Sexual Assault, Museum of Contemporary Art in Tucson, 5:30 p.m.– 7 p.m.

A social creativity project, with Manuel Abril and Rowan Frost, will promote awareness and solidarity through three different components. According to MOCA’s main website, “The discussion will explore the intersections and blurs between art, advertisement and advocacy messaging where they contend with social norms and influence.” The event is free to the public.

Saturday, July 20

Summer Beer Tastings, Hotel Congress, $20, 5 p.m.

If you’re a connoisseur of all things brew, clear your calendar this Saturday for Pitcher of Nectar Distributing at Hotel Congress. All tastings include food from Cup Café.

Sunday, July 21

Ian “Mac” McLagan, Hotel Congress, $10/$12, 7 p.m., 21

Join Hotel Congress and the Southern Blues and Heritage Foundation for a night of soulful, downhome grooves. Ian “Mac” McLagan has toured with acts such as The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and can be heard on tracks such as “Stay With Me” by the Faces and “Miss You” by The Rolling Stones. Check hotelcongress.com for more information.

Monday, July 22

Talk: Tucson Underground: The Archaeology of a Desert Community, DuVal Auditorium, 7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Learn more about the historic community that surrounds the UA. Explore changes in the land over the past millennia and discuss the effects our history has had on both Tucson and its residents. Visit uanews.org for more information.

Tuesday, July 23

Peace Corps Coffee Chat, Canyon Coffee, 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.

If you like coffee and making a difference, then stop by Canyon Coffee outside of the Student Union Memorial Center to chat with UA recruiter, Lauren Maghran. Learn what you can do to build your resume for volunteering and how you can be an applicant for the Peace Corps after college.