Softball appears flawless

There’s no need for a full seven innings when the Arizona softball team executes all aspects of its game, as was the case in this weekend’s exhibition tournament.

The Wildcats applied the eight-run mercy rule to four of their five opponents – ending the game

(Mowatt) was (Mowatt) and did what she needed to do.
    – Mike Candrea, head coach

after five innings of an onslaught – en route to a perfect 7-0 finish on the two-week tournament at Hillenbrand Stadium.

Pitchers Taryne Mowatt and Lindsey Sisk continued throwing gems while Arizona’s offensive explosion got contagious.

Over the span of yesterday’s five-inning 14-0 win over Pima and 8-0 win over Cypress (Calif.), shortstop K’Lee Arredondo hit three home runs. Catcher Callista Balko added to the long ball totals with two of her own, while joining Arredondo, Stacie Chambers and Sam Banister as four Wildcats with three RBIs against Pima.

Arredondo unleashed the Arizona offense in the victory over Cypress with a solo home run to ignite a six-run fourth inning.

Freshman Sisk pitched all five innings, giving up a mere one hit with six strikeouts, while maintaining composure and gaining maturity on the mound.

“”It’s just important, for every game, to have a good mental attitude, and just to always keep a straight face,”” Sisk said. “”Once you get down on yourself, things are going to go downhill from there.””

Balko believes Sisk has the characteristics and mental toughness level that Mowatt brings, even as a freshman this early in the fall.

“”Mentally as a pitcher, it’s more important than putting the ball where you need to place it,”” Balko said. “”We need that leadership on the mound.””

Sisk earned her second career college victory in Saturday’s 7-2 victory over Central Arizona, featuring 11 strikeouts in seven innings. Leadoff hitter Brittany Lastrapes continued her hot bat with a pair of hits and RBI, representing an impressive freshman class performance, said UA head coach Mike Candrea.

The nightcap of Saturday’s doubleheader finished in five innings, as Arizona defeated UTEP 8-0. Mowatt retired 12 consecutive batters at one point, in a one-hit, 10-strikeout complete game shutout. She credited a superb defensive effort all weekend long.

“”(Mowatt) was (Mowatt) and did what she needed to do,”” Candrea said.

Said Mowatt of Arizona’s pitching performance throughout the weekend, “”I think pitching wise, (Sisk) and I both got ahead and hit our spots. I think this is one of the better fall tournaments we’ve had since I’ve been here.””

Sam Banister ignited the offensive attack from a three-run homer in the fourth inning, adding to Arizona’s long ball total of 10 home runs over the long weekend.

Arizona kicked off the weekend with a 9-1 win over Arizona Western, after Sisk had four 1-2-3 innings, allowing only one run on one hit with nine strikeouts. The collective team effort was evident offensively, as the Wildcats had nine different bats drive in RBIs.

Although impressed with the team’s overall performance, Candrea said the weekend merely begins the long continuous process of improvement.

“”I think right now it’s a matter of evaluating what we saw this weekend,”” Candrea said. “”Now we can go back to the drawing board and spend some time on individual stuff.””