Men’s golf team 6 strokes behind at Wolf Pack Classic

The Arizona men’s golf team started out strong Monday afternoon at the Wolf Pack Classic in Reno, Nev., posting a 2-under-par 286 to claim second place. The Wildcats are six strokes behind leader Fresno State. They are the only two teams under par after the first day.

The Wildcats know the feeling well, coming off of a first-place finish in the same tournament last year, though UA head coach Rick LaRose said winning last year won’t have anything to do with this year’s tournament.

“”We do have some confidence going in, but it is a completely different team,”” LaRose said.

Last year’s individual medalist, junior Tyler Neal, led the Wildcats with a 2-under-par 70 to tie for seventh place individually. The Wildcats used everyone to help finish with three players landing in the top 20. Roberto Galletti carded a 1-under-par 71 to tie for 12th place while Tarquin MacManus carded an even par 72 to tie for 18th place.

Right behind them was sophomore Jonathan Khan, who shot a 1-over-par 73 to tie for 25th place. Junior Brad Nicholson, who led the Wildcats last weekend, finished with a 12-over-par 84 to take 75th place.

“”There are five guys out there, all capable of being a leader,”” LaRose said.