Wildcats not overlooking Toledo

Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat

University of Arizona meets Arizona State University in an NCAA mens football game in Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2009. Arizona went on to win 20-17.
Michael Ignatov
Michael Ignatov / Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona meets Arizona State University in an NCAA men’s football game in Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2009. Arizona went on to win 20-17.

For most BCS schools, opening weekend of the 2010 season will serve as an opportunity to finally hit someone else while working out the kinks against a lowly opponent.

But Arizona’s season opener in the Glass Bowl against the University of Toledo on ESPN tonight at 5 p.m. has the Wildcats on upset watch.   

“”It’s kind of a scary game for us,”” head coach Mike Stoops said. “”They have nothing to lose in this game.””

Despite opening the 2008 season with a 41-16 home win over Toledo, history is not on Arizona’s side.

The Rockets of the Mid-American Conference are 5-1 at home against BCS schools since 2001, while Arizona is winless in non-conference road games since 2001, going 0-7 during the stretch and losing by a combined score of 245-96.

“”We know if we go in there playing around, we’re going to get beat,”” said junior wide receiver William “”Bug”” Wright. “”One thing we’re not doing is overlooking.””

Stoops and his squad have been talking Rose Bowl throughout the preseason, but the Wildcats have no room to look past the Rockets, who have defeated programs like Kansas, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Iowa State, Navy, Cincinnati and Colorado at home since 2001.

“”(Their BCS record) is something that we need to know about and keep telling the guys about,”” said junior quarterback Nick Foles. “”They’re going to come after us, and we don’t want to be a team that goes in there and they blow us away.””

The Glass Bowl is a completely different atmosphere than Arizona Stadium, as it seats around 26,000 in a tight-knit setting. But despite the small-town atmosphere, the Wildcats’ experience and mental toughness should keep them from getting rattled.

“”Just in case it gets loud, I’ve got to kind of know what page Nick is on, so I feel like us being together so long is definitely going to help,”” said junior receiver Juron Criner.