Jennings: ‘A lot of risk and a lot of reward’

Going overseas to play professionally could yield mixed results for former UA signee Brandon Jennings. Sure, he is endorsed by Under Armour and gained experienced of going up against grown men-professionals-for a complete season. But leaving the country for a year may have made the one-time No. 1 rated high school player in America more unnoticed by the big wigs in the NBA, said Aran Smith, President of NBADraft.net.

Despite that, however, Smith said he believes Jennings has more personal upside than anyone in the draft besides Blake Griffin, who is projected to be the No. 1 overall pick, so long Jennings matures some.

“”I think he’s a real big personality kind of guy,”” Smith said. “”Maybe a big-city market wouldn’t be the best thing for him in a sense that he’s still full-throttle: Wants to go out at night, wants to party, living life, you know. He’s got a lot of risk and a lot of reward.””

A post on Jennings’ official Twitter page Monday stated that he would be in New York City this week because of the draft parties.

His youth showed in its thickest form last week after a workout with the Sacramento Kings. He told reporters he thought Spain’s Ricky Rubio was overrated and was the second-best point guard draft prospect, only to Jennings.

“”I just shoot the ball better than he can,”” Jennings said. “”The only thing I’ve seen him do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that.””

Most mock drafts have Rubio placed higher than Jennings in the draft. Smith said Rubio could “”become a mini Magic Johnson and make everyone around him better,”” but added that Jennings has the talent to be picked as high as No. 3, though he could fall to the bottom of the lottery.

“”He’s a mystery guy,”” Smith said of Jennings. “”It will be interesting to see who pulls the trigger with him and where he ends up.””