“Deputy’s killer had threatened wife, two others”

An Oklahoma man who gunned down a Johnson County sheriff’s deputy Saturday afternoon and then was fatally shot had threatened his wife, sister and another person before authorities arrived, the sheriff said Sunday.

Wesley Davis, 47, brandished a weapon at the three people before he was locked out of the house near Venus.

Sheriff’s deputies received a call about someone with a weapon, Johnson County Sheriff Bob Alford said Sunday. Alford said he wasn’t aware of any shots fired before deputies arrived.

Davis had been staying at the house just a few days after arriving from Oklahoma, Alford said. Deputies had not responded to any calls at the residence before Saturday afternoon.

“”A deputy knocked on the door, and he was told that he was in a storage shed,”” Alford said. “”They did tell him to be careful.””

Davis opened fire with a .380-caliber pistol when law officers approached the shed, he said.

Deputy Clifton Taylor, 31, was hit three times and died at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth shortly afterward.

Taylor had been with the department a little more than three years and was engaged to be married.

He was the first deputy at the scene in the 2200 block of Eagle Court, just outside Venus.

Funeral services are pending.

Davis was killed when two other deputies and a Venus police officer returned fire, Alford said.

The Texas Rangers are investigating the case.

A bullet struck Deputy Patrick Geyer’s walkie-talkie. Geyer, 39, was treated for a bruise at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Cleburne and released.

Also responding was Deputy Eric McClelland, 25, who was not injured.