The best (and most memorable) albums of the school year

It’s nearly impossible to compile a comprehensive list of the best music released in any time span. That’s why this list is nowhere near comprehensive, It does, however, highlight some of the tunes that you’re likely to remember from the past school year. Whether you’re leaving UA for the summer or forever, you’ll remember your time here through music.

Best album to play loud

Clipse – Hell Hath No Fury

You know a hip-hop record is an instant classic when all the rock kids are falling head over heels for it. This sophomore release was truly badass, especially when blasting at maximum volume.

Best album for cruising the streets

Lupe Fiasco – Food & Liquor

There’s no doubt you heard “”Kick, Push”” at one point this past year, even if you don’t remember it. After such a big debut album, Lupe is sure to come back soon with another anthemic album.

Best album to complain about

Fall Out Boy – Infinity on High

This one obviously falls under the “”most memorable”” category. There’s no other group this year that inspired so much hatred and loathing for their music. Panic! At the Disco gets an honorable mention.

Best album to put on at a dance party

LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver

With its modern day Talking Heads sound and whacky electronics, this album was released to a lot of well-deserved buzz. It was just enough to get the head-nodding indie kids off MySpace and onto the dance floor.

Best album for pretending you like indie rock

Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

With the recent opening of American Apparel on University Boulevard, everybody and their moms are putting on the indie rock facade. A good album it was, but it marked the complete underground-to-mainstream transition for Modest Mouse.

Best album for throwing up the horns

Mastodon – Blood Mountain

Mastodon dropped one of their finest and most brutal releases with Blood Mountain. After gaining some mainstream attention the band is set to devour new fans in the future with their intelligent metal.

Best album for self-indulgence

Fergie – The Dutchess

There’s really nothing more self-indulgent than throwing “”-alicious”” at the end of your name. The Black Eyed Peas singer did not only that, but she also made a name for herself with her popular debut solo album.

Best album for studying

The Decemberists – The Crane Wife

From the typical folk-inspired rock to epic classic rock jams, this album delivered some solid tunes. Perfect for a late night with your head in the books.