You can’t bottom out with these styles

Amidst a large quantity of ugly plaid shorts and camouflage cut-offs, there are some winning choices for bottoms on campus, all of which can be worn year round. For the most part, jeans triumphs for both male and female students. Many students wear their favorite denim all year, making it a lasting style.

Skirts are also a fun and flirty way for girls to dress, especially if they want to keep cool and dress up for class. Keep your favorite skirts on in the fall, too – just switch out flip-flops or flats for a mid-calf boot.

Leggings have stuck around through the seasons, too, and can often be seen on campus. Leggings are chosen based on comfort, but girls on campus dress them up with longer, flowing tops. To take this trend into fall, switch to tights for a classier look.

Shorts, for both guys and girls, are perfect for class. Many girls love Bermuda shorts, and these can also be worn with boots come fall or winter.

Keep in mind, though, acid-wash and hole-centric jeans, along with super-short miniskirts or short-shorts that expose pockets, don’t make the cut.

Nadia Azar, an undelared freshman, chooses leggings with her long top. Leggings are an inexpensive and comfortable alternative to skirts or shorts and can be worn all year. Azar said she owns only two pairs of jeans and loves to wear skirts.

“”When I want to dress up a little more I wear leggings or skirts,”” she said.

She loves coupling her black pair with dressy tops from Forever 21, where she used to work. Azar added that she wouldn’t try the new trend of wide-leg pants, and will stick to either leggings or tights for fall.

“”That wide-leg thing is too ’70s,”” Azar said. “”I just like to look nice.””

Creative writing freshman Sean Whalen wears the same jeans year round. His dark-wash Levi’s compliment his tank for the summer heat and can easily be worn in the fall.

“”I wear these over and over again. You don’t really need to wash jeans too often,”” he said.

Whalen never wears shorts, swearing that no matter the season, he will stick to denim.

“”I could be walking through the Sahara, and I would still probably be wearing jeans,”” he said.

Kelsey Ortelli dons her favorite jeans to class. The music education freshman wears a dark-wash pair of skinny jeans from Lucky Brand. They aren’t too tight, but fit Ortelli perfectly.

“”I don’t really like flared-out jeans, and I’m short so I’m not sure the new trend in wide slacks would work well for me,”” she said.

For Ortelli’s denim fit to transition to the upcoming fall season, she suggests sticking to dark wash.

“”I would describe my style as classic. I like solid colors and no holes in my jeans,”” she said.

photos by Alan Fullmer