OPINION: Maintaining healthy relationships is vital

Jon+Huckins+holds+hands+with+Reegan+Wilson+on+Friday%2C+Oct.+9+at+Dove+Mountain+Park.+Rebeca+Bennett%2C+a+program+coordinator+for+BBBST%2C+said+they+are+one+of+the+cutest+matches+she+has+ever+made.+
    Zi Yang Lai

Jon Huckins holds hands with Reegan Wilson on Friday, Oct. 9 at Dove Mountain Park. Rebeca Bennett, a program coordinator for BBBST, said they are one of the cutest matches she has ever made.

Maintaining healthy relationships in college seems like an impossible task sometimes. Friends we knew for years in school have suddenly grown distant, and the university is often the first time we have to live with people other than our family. How do you balance it all? How do you maintain healthy relationships in a world where we never have time for one another anymore?

Speaking from personal experience, the transition from high school to university was a difficult one. All the freedom and time in the world, yet I had no idea what to do with it. Being in university means you develop time-management skills, so use them! Don’t be afraid to call an old friend after you study for one of your exams or after your 9 a.m. Getting unexpected calls and visits from friends really does mean the world. 

RELATED: OPINION: Gentrification in Tucson

I would also highly advise against living with a friend. It never ends well. Just because you are good friends with someone does not mean you will make good roommates. So while it is important to cherish old friends, don’t be afraid to make new ones. There is no limit on how many friends a girl (or guy!) can have in life. 

With that being said, having friends means you take the time to check up on them and talk to them every once in a while. Don’t be that person that goes months without even saying hello. It’s not healthy, and it won’t make you happy. If anything, after I hang out with one of my friends, I feel more energized and happy. 

Unfortunately, one part of maintaining healthy relationships is cutting off people who inhibit your growth. If someone is toxic to you, don’t be afraid to end the friendship. Life is too short to be unhappy or to be surrounded by people who don’t make you feel like the best version of yourself possible. Your mental health is just as important as those around you. It is easy to forget, but please don’t. 

RELATED: OPINION: Should gun manufactures be liable for criminal conduct

Another helpful but often forgotten tip is just plain communication. Let’s leave rumors and bullying in high school. If you feel someone has done something you don’t like, just go up to them and ask or confront them. Don’t talk behind people’s backs. It’s not something adults should be doing. 

Lastly, enjoy yourself! Relish in all the interesting people and friends you will encounter in your four years in university. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and make new friends, but always remember maintaining friendships is just as important as making them. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter