Bodies removed from home as Concord police investigate second homicide in as many days

CONCORD — Police on Monday night were investigating the city’s second homicide in as many days but have released few details about the latest death, which comes on the heels of a fatal weekend stabbing.

The Contra Costa Coroner’s Office was on hand early Tuesday morning to remove two bodies from a home after what appears to have been a domestic conflict.

Officers were called about 8:30 p.m. to a home in the 2300 block of Bedford Road for a distress call and upon arriving, found evidence suggesting that a “”potential homicide had occurred,”” according to a police news release. An early investigation has ruled out any outstanding suspects, but police offered no additional information other than that homicide detectives had been summoned.

The names of those who died are being withheld until relatives are notified by authorities.

Gene Traversaro, a 30-year resident of the serene street, said he has lived next door to the family for a quarter of a century and knew the deceased as friendly and well liked in the neighborhood.

“”They’re wonderful people,”” Traversaro said. “”I get this empty feeling knowing they’re gone.””

Traversaro and other neighbors who asked not to be named out of privacy concerns said a 30-ish man and his girlfriend lived in a rear building on the property while an elderly parent lived in the main home.

The investigation follows a deadly stabbing late Sunday afternoon that killed 20-year-old Concord

resident Richard Gilliam. The man suspected of stabbing him, 19-year-old Joshua Cardone, was arrested at the scene, the parking lot of the Clayton Valley Shopping Center in the 5400 block of Ygnacio Valley Road outside Burger King.

Investigators say Gilliam and Cardone knew each other but are still probing their relationship as well as what prompted the argument that preceded the stabbing.

Both homicides are the first and second recorded in Concord this year. There were four in 2010 and two in 2009.