Column: Expect Run the Jewels to run the Rialto tomorrow

Unconventional hip-hop duo Run the Jewels will be making a stop at the Rialto Theatre as part of their Jewel Runner tour Tuesday, Sept. 29. Run The Jewels consists of Atlanta rapper Killer Mike and New York producer El-P. Both of them have eccentric and gritty styles, and together they have so far produced two records, Run the Jewels and Run the Jewels 2, and remix album Meow the Jewels.

Their third record is expected to drop next year. Killer Mike and El-P make an excellent duo. Killer Mike, who has been making records for over a decade, embraces his Atlanta roots with a very Southern production style and unforgiving lyrics. El-P, on the other hand, racks in many years of producing and rapping, and has a style that compliments both Run The Jewels and Killer Mike very nicely. His hard, energetic and noisy beats bring a lot of heart and tenacity to the music.

Their previous two records have been received very well by hip hop listeners, and many will be excited to see them perform live in Tucson on Tuesday.

It is not uncommon for rappers to struggle to replicate their style in a live setting, but Run the Jewels knows just how to accomplish this feat. In a live review, Consequence of Sound’s Pat Levy wrote that Run The Jewels are best experienced in-person.

“El-P and Killer Mike have arguably the best chemistry between two active musicians, and when they get to showcase this, it’s a sight to behold,” Levy wrote. “Pairing that with the tidal wave of fan enthusiasm, Run the Jewels concerts are unlike any other I’ve ever been to.”

Usually packing along very talented, unknown rappers to open up for them, Run the Jewels creates the perfect setting to amp up the audience for their performance. On Tuesday, New York rapper and producer Bishop Nehru, accompanies the duo. Nehru is best known for his collaboration with production legend MF DOOM, called NehruvianDOOM. Artists Cuz Lightyear and BOOTS will also join Run The Jewels on the Rialto stage.

An important part of any performance is engaging the crowd, and unsurprisingly, Run the Jewels excels at this.
    “When Run the Jewels took the stage, the crowd erupted in a way that I’d never experienced at a venue show,” Levy wrote. “It was a headlining-slot-at-a-festival reception, the earnest reaction of hundreds of die-hard fans eagerly awaiting the duo’s arrival.”

The performance, however, is captivating and something to behold. Run the Jewels brings just as much energy, if not more, than they display in their music.

“El and Mike controlled the show from minute one, dictating exactly how we were supposed to feel [with their setlist],” Levy wrote. “If this is any indication, Run the Jewels are going to put on a spectacle at The Rialto, and avid hip-hop listeners will not regret attending.”

Run The Jewels are known for having a tremendous amount of talent and energy on their records, and they have done an excellent job replicating this at their live shows. Their ability to engage the crowd and bring the amount of heart that they’re known for makes for an outstanding performance. Look forward to it Sept. 29—doors at 7 p.m., show at 8.