TREND’s Fashion Week highlights local style

Rebecca Noble
Ted Goodyear flings open a jacket by Esteban Osuna during the first ever UA Fashion Show hosted by TREND on the UA Mall on Saturday, April 29, 2017.

The UA’s TREND fashion club finished off its first Fashion Week, which began last Wednesday, with a grand finale fashion show that showcased student-curated and Tucson-based clothing brands with  New York flavor.

As the sun began to set and a crowd formed, host Dylan Connor broke the ice with a famous quote by Tom Wolfe: “One belongs to New York instantly; one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.”

Families, friends and college students gathered around a single black platform runway facing the historic Old Main, patiently waiting for the models to make their debut.

RELATED: TREND brings UA Fashion Week to the catwalk

Pitaya

The show kicked off with a clothing line by Pitaya, a local store on University Boulevard. Originally from Bloomington, Indiana, Pitaya frequently stocks their boutique with the newest trends in women’s clothing. All of their merchandise is made in the United States.

Their outfits are a striking display of warm-weather streetwear, featuring bright colors and a classic, bohemian vibe. The line also sampled Pitaya’s collection of evening wear.

224 Apparel

Specializing in custom Greek apparel, 224 presented their best pieces at the UA fashion show. Their line consists of graphic, form-fitting T-shirts coupled with stylish jeans that express a trendy street style. The designers paired the casual outfits with stylish heels and sneakers and layered on long jackets and sunglasses for added flare. This brand works with their clients to create a specific look and theme, bringing a fresh, artistic influence to clothing.

Last Ones Left Apparel

This unisex clothing brand featured its comfy streetwear line that uses graphic prints and bold, solid colors, like red and yellow, as their focal pieces. Inspired by millennial culture, the Last Ones Left designers express their young, creative spirit through their effortlessly stylish fabrics.

Fed by Threads

Fed by Threads opened their first retail store in downtown Tucson and brought their best styles to the university’s fashion show. The line consists of neutral-colored, sustainable and organic clothing, serving a variety of situations from lounge clothes to evening dresses.

This local clothing company prides themselves on their American-made, environment-friendly fabrics and their humanitarian work. Fed by Threads donates some of their profits to Feeding America, which works to bring surplussed food to Americans in need.

Sunny Co. Clothing

The next line of clothing that took the stage is a startup of two business majors here at the UA. Sunny Co. Clothing showcased their new swimsuit line, featuring solid colors and unique cutout designs. After seeing great success from selling a line of college game day skirts, the designers are working to expand their product line to other types of clothing.

RELATED: Students share what goes into festival fashions

Creations Boutique

This bohemian clothing store sells products from local Tucson designers and brought their signature southwestern style to the runway. The audience saw an array of flattering floral and graphic designs on dresses, tops and pants.

American Monarchy

The fashion show featured another clothing brand created by a UA undergrad, American Monarchy. This brand specializes in stylish, quality streetwear. The line was styled to reflect some popular trends in fashion, such as pairing loose-fitting sweaters with thigh-high high heels.

For this show, American Monarchy teamed up with a denim jean brand called Refresh. The samples of denim worn by the models were made with unique distress marks and white athletic bands to create a rebellious and distinct statement.

American Monarchy donates 20 percent of their profits to the Salvation Army, in order to give back to the community.

Anine Paulsen

Anine Paulsen is a Norwegian fashion designer that lives in Tucson. She creates unique and modern women’s clothing through the use of bright colors and eye-catching textures. Her sample of clothing that was displayed during the fashion show was made with accents that focus on texture. Her work often includes sequins, reflective fabrics and wistful shoulderline details that are incorporated into different types of evening wear and casual clothing.

Estéban

The final designer to showcase their work in the fashion show was a Tucson local named Estéban Osuna. His calling in fashion is mixing European couture with southwestern style and influence. His dark but detailed fabrics are striking on the runway, with long asymmetrical skirts and intricate, structured tops that give a sophisticated edge to the line as a whole.

In the closing minutes of the fashion show, directors Jenna DeMaio and Gabriel Nakovich expressed gratitude to their supporters and the host turned to the audience to make a few closing remarks.

“Fashion is such a big part of our lives, what you wear makes a big first impression about who you are,” Connor said. “So, as fashion week leaves its first impression on you, we hope we have left a good first impression like nothing else, with the first UA Fashion Week and first runway show.”

Follow Kathleen Kunz on Twitter