Odd student injuries to avoid

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The UA mall turns into a swarm of bike and pedestrian traffic during the morning and afternoon class rush. The traffic is proving to be a cause of concern for many as the safety of students has come into question.
    Mike Christy
    Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The UA mall turns into a swarm of bike and pedestrian traffic during the morning and afternoon class rush. The traffic is proving to be a cause of concern for many as the safety of students has come into question.

Sunburn — We all love the bright sunshine of Arizona, but let’s face it, the sun is strong and the heat is blistering. According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, Arizona is ranked second in the world, just behind Australia, for skin cancer incidence rates. Although many love having a sensationally golden glow, it’s absolutely imperative to wear sunscreen to protect yourself from the potentially harmful UVA and UVB rays. About 2 teaspoons is the suggested amount of sunscreen to cover your entire body and face.

Bicycle and skateboarding incidents — It’s quick and convenient to zip around this large campus on your bike or skateboard. However, there have been countless accidents with people getting run over or thrown from the skateboards in an effort to avoid hitting pedestrians and cars. Certain areas of campus are labeled as pedestrian or cyclist-only, but many fail to heed such signage. Remember when your parents used to tell you to “”look both ways before crossing the street””? Well, these words may come in handy and protect you from a collision.

Eye strain — In this day and age, hours upon hours are spent staring at computer screens checking your Facebook page … uh, I mean studying. Oftentimes, this is done in poor lighting, which causes strain to our eyes. If possible, supply ample lighting with lamps or open blinds so that you can see without the strain on your peepers. It is also best to keep your computer screen 20 to 26 inches away from your eyes.

Long-term back and foot damage — The UA campus is more than 380 acres, and not all of us have the luxury of having our classes within close proximity of each other. Comfortable shoes are essential to saving your soles and your spine when walking long distances. Make sure your shoes provide proper support for your feet. No one wants aching feet and blistered toes when sitting through hours of lectures.

Trips and falls — How many times have you been looking at your phone while walking, when all of the sudden you’ve tripped and fallen or run into a pole? Not often? Then you are one of the lucky ones. This one is very simple, yet all too common. Take caution when walking. This campus is bustling and all it takes is one brief moment when you are looking at your phone for you to not see the skateboard coming your way or the pothole in front of your next step.

Bee stings — It is always nice to sit outside and enjoy some free time between classes with your coffee or your lunch. However, the bees also enjoy hovering around your meals. To avoid a potentially unpleasant sting, keep sugared beverages and fruit covered while outside as well as avoiding colognes and perfumes. Also avoid swatting at the buzzing pest to prevent injury.

Caffeine overdose — It is always great to feel alert and attentive during class, after class, and at 4 in the morning when you’re still studying for that test at 8 a.m. However, excess caffeine can lead to symptoms such as stress, anxiety and insomnia. It is best to avoid caffeine after 4 p.m. or consume it in smaller amounts, like green tea, instead of a double shot of espresso. There are various techniques to increase alertness such as breathing, exercise and high energy music.

Dehydration — It can be very easy to forget to hydrate throughout the day, but by carrying a water bottle with you at all times, it is much easier to remember to drink it. Ideally, you should consume 6 to 8 bottles of water per day, although that differs with each person. For those of you who dislike plain water, there are ways to flavor your water, such as Crystal Light packets, available at most grocery and convenience stores. Remember to consume water throughout the entire day and to consume extra if you are participating in vigorous physical activity.

Depressed immune system and illness — Due to the large amounts of stress and lowered amounts of sleep that take place during the school year, it is easy for the immune system to suffer. In order to keep things in good shape, make an effort to get adequate amounts of sleep. Additionally, students should strive to maintain a nutritious diet and get adequate exercise to keep their bodies in balance. Avoid procrastination to lessen the amount of stress of school projects that can later have an impact on your immune system.