Students to participate in global culture exchange

Twenty UA students have been accepted into Up with People, a global organization in which students travel the world and learn about different cultures in different countries.

“”Students need to learn and study about different cultures,”” said Arizona Congressman Jim Kolbe as he addressed a crowd of nearly 50 at the Gallagher Theater in the Student Union Memorial Center yesterday. “”We live in a global world.””

Up with People members travel the world for 22 weeks, staying in different countries with host families. The program has students from 19 different countries between the ages of 18 and 29 and spreads the art of dance and theater in each country.

The goals of the organization include increasing communication among different countries, meeting the needs of global communities and teaching students leadership skills, according to the Up with People mission statement.

Amy Morales, an elementary education senior who plans to travel with the group in July, said it is hard for people who have never been outside of the U.S. to understand different cultures.

“”I’m so excited on multiple levels,”” Morales said. “”I’m graduating, the music and theater, but more importantly, Up with People will help build relationships with other cultures.””

Mia Hansen, alumni Tucson coordinator for Up with People, said allowing Kolbe to speak to the group was the “”perfect way to start”” their time in Tucson and at the UA.

“”He was able to relate to the students,”” said Hansen of Kolbe. “”Now the (international) students can see how a (U.S.) university operates.””

Madoka Tatsuno, education coordinator for Up with People from Japan, said her mother and brother were both involved in Up with People.

“”The global education is very unique,”” said Tatsuno. “”Since Japan is an island, it’s hard to know about the world we live in.””

Tatsuno said college-aged students should think about the future, so that they can contribute to the world.

It’s important because students need to learn and study about different cultures. We live in a global world.

– Jim Kolbe,
    Arizona congressman

“”It’s all about the people,”” said Tatsuno.

Up with People will be discussing border and immigration issues in the Cesar E. Chavez building, Room 211, Friday at 2 p.m. They will perform at 8 p.m. at the Arizona Ballroom in the Student Union.