Police Beat: Feb. 10

Don’t forget to call

After her son did not call home that morning, a woman contacted University of Arizona Police Department on Feb. 3 at 11:48 a.m.

The woman stated that her son worked nights at a nearby restaurant and usually calls her the morning after his shift.

She said her son is a UA student and lives in a residence hall.

When she called her son’s roommate after he did not call that morning, the roommate said her son did not return to the room after working.

The officer called the roommate and was told the student had a 9 a.m. class, which he did not attend.

The mother also told the officer that her son did not have drinking or emotional problems.

At 2:15 p.m. on Feb. 3, the officer received another call from the woman, which informed him that her son called and told her that he had spent the night at a co-worker’s house and the battery on his cell phone had died.

Stolen music

On Feb. 3 at 8 p.m., a UAPD officer met a UA student at parking lot 8110 at 450 N. Warren Ave.

The student told the officer he had parked his car in the lot around midnight, and when he returned at 7:30 p.m., he had noticed a hole in the door, where the lock should’ve been.

The man said that all car doors were locked but that the alarm on the car was not turned on.

The only thing missing from the car was a $300 guitar.

There was no other damage to the car besides the $100 lock.

The student was issued victim’s rights for the incident.

Skateboarding may cause injuries

UAPD observed a man attempting to flip his skateboard in front of the Administration building on Thursday at 3:45 p.m.

The man lost his balance on the skateboard, and the board flew to the side and almost hit a student.

The officer informed the student of UA policies about skateboarding on campus. He was also informed about potential consequences of getting caught doing tricks with his skateboard on campus again.

Personal food items taken from desk

A UAPD officer responded to the Starver Heart Center at 1501 N. Campbell Ave. on Thursday at 11:39 a.m. because of reports that keys and food items had been stolen from a desk.

The officer spoke with the building manager, who claimed that keys and personal food items had been taken from a locked drawer in the lobby desk.

The woman stated that she would have ignored the incident, but the keys were to a doctor’s office, an exam room, and a conference room.

The employee whose desk it was said she was almost positive that she locked the desk at 1:20 p.m. on Feb. 2 when she left.

She also said the office is on lock down between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. everyday.

In addition to the keys, a bag of pretzels and a bag of candy are also missing.

The employee told the officer that the locks on the doors are scheduled to be changed.

Victim’s rights were mailed to the building manager.

Bad day for the bikes

UAPD officers responded to numerous reports of stolen bicycles on Thursday.

A man called UAPD after he left the UA Main Library at 11:35 p.m. and noticed his blue Trek mountain bike, along with a bike lock and a light which was attached to the handlebars, were missing from the bicycle racks in front of the library.

Earlier that day at 7:15 p.m., another man called to report that his bike had been stolen from the Atmospheric Sciences building. The silver-colored Marin brand bike, worth $200, which had been secured to the racks with a U-lock, had been taken between 5:05 and 6:30 p.m.

Rear and front lights and saddlebags were also on the bicycle.

At 5:36 p.m., a woman called UAPD also to report a stolen bike. Her bicycle was taken from the racks south of the Yavapai Residence Hall.

The woman told the officer she had locked the bike up at the beginning of the spring 2010 semester and just noticed it missing. The bike was a blue beach cruiser with white rims and had been locked with a U-lock.

Taken between 9:30 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on the same day, was a gray Schwinn mountain bike. The man reported the missing bike and said he locked the bike to the racks outside of the Harvill building with a combination cable lock.

A woman also reported her bike stolen some time between 5 p.m. on Feb. 2 and 4 p.m. on Thursday when she returned. The bike was a La Jolla aqua-colored beach cruiser with white rims, ivory handgrips and a bell on the handlebars. The bike was worth $100, and the lock was worth $20.

Each person who reported a stolen bicycle was issued victim’s rights. There are no suspects in any of the incidents.