Volleyball hits road for last time in season

UA outside hitter Tiffany Owens rises for a kill during the Wildcats sweep of Washington State on Nov. 2 in McKale Center. Needing to win three out of the next four, the team takes its campaign on the road to play No. 6 California and No. 4 Stanford.
    UA outside hitter Tiffany Owens rises for a kill during the Wildcats’ sweep of Washington State on Nov. 2 in McKale Center. Needing to win three out of the next four, the team takes its campaign on the road to play No. 6 California and No. 4 Stanford.

The Arizona volleyball team will hit the road for its last trip of the regular season this weekend, facing No. 6 California tonight at 7 in Berkeley, Calif., and No. 4 Stanford tomorrow night at 7 in Stanford, Calif.

The Wildcats (13-14, 3-11 Pacific 10 Conference) dropped a five-game set to the Golden Bears (20-6, 10-5) after leading 2-0 in their last matchup in Tucson and were swept by the Cardinal in three close games.

“”Our squad has been very competitive with both of these California teams,”” said UA head coach Dave Rubio. “”It hasn’t been the easiest season, but I think the kids are fighting hard. They haven’t given up. Their spirits are good.””

Coming off of a three-game loss to then-No. 18 Colorado State on Friday, Arizona is looking to hit better than its .213 season average. With 140 total swings – 50 coming from freshman Tiffany Owens, who averages 3.37 kills per game – the Wildcats could not fight against the Rams’ double block.

UA middle blocker Dominique Lamb said the team has been working on getting around the opponents’ stuffs.

“”It’s all about being a smart attacker,”” the senior said. “”You see a double-block, you either tip or you hit high off (their) hands or hit it off-line.””

In their last matchup, Arizona registered 13 team blocks against the Bears, who sit at fourth in the conference. Stanford, who is at the top of the Pac-10, allowed only five Arizona team blocks last time out.

Outside hitter Angie Pressey, a second-team All-American, paces Cal with 3.94 kills per game – good for ninth in the conference. Sophomore Anna Cutura, an outside hitter from Croatia, swats 3.91.

Freshman outside hitter Alix Klineman hits .416 for the Cardinal, helping the team to hit .311, the best in the Pac-10.

“”Both teams have

We just need to go in and play our game and execute. We always talk about execution, but we actually need to buckle down and do it.

-Dominique Lamb,
    middle blocker

great attackers,”” Rubio said, “”But we’re really only concerned with what goes on on our side of the net.””

The Wildcats need to win three of their final four games for a chance at a playoff berth. Last season the team failed to reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 11 years.

“”A win, maybe two, is one step closer to getting into the tournament,”” Lamb said. “”Mathematically we still have time.

“”We just need to go in and play our game and execute,”” she added. “”We always talk about execution, but we actually need to buckle down and do it.””

Three recruits sign with Wildcats

Three high school student-athletes have signed National Letters of Intent to attend Arizona and play volleyball next season, the team announced yesterday.

Dana Hutchinson, Courtney Karst and Amy Webster all inked during the early signing period.

Hutchinson is a 6-foot outside hitter from Laguna Beach, Calif., Karst is a 6-foot middle blocker and outside hitter from Centennial, Colo., and Webster is a 6-foot-2 middle blocker and outside hitter from San Diego.