Police Beat: Sept. 16

BB gun damage to windows at Sonoran Center

An unknown person damaged two single-pane glass windows, a metal blind and a storage unit at the Sonoran Center with a BB gun sometime between Friday and Monday.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was informed of criminal damage on Monday. A UA employee told UAPD that when she arrived for work at 8:00 a.m. that day, she and other staff members discovered the glass windows on the north side of the building had been broken. She also stated the last time she had seen the windows intact was on Sept. 10 and was unable to provide any further information.

The damage appeared to have been done by a BB gun. There were numerous high speed, cone-shaped impacts on the two 1-foot-by-2-foot single-pane glass windows. The interior of the window blind had six metal partitions damaged by the impacts. A metal storage unit in the room had one impact mark left on the door.

After checking the interior floor of the room, UAPD officers discovered a silver BB, which is commonly used in standard BB guns. Police found four more BBs directly below the broken glass windows on the ground.

At the northeast corner of the building, police also found a Crossman CO2 air cartridge, used for BB guns, a pile of silver BBs and a clear plastic baggie of marijuana.

The BBs were contained in a pile that appeared to have been spilled straight from the container. An officer photographed the damage. He also took photos of the CO2 cartridge, the bag of marijuana and the pile of BB’s. The windows were repaired, and UA Custodial was contacted to clean the office area.

Technophobe on the loose

On  Monday, UAPD received a reference of suspicious activity at the School of Art.

Upon arriving at the scene, a UAPD officer made contact with a UA employee who stated that she had received a suspicious voice message on her office phone.

She said that the message made references to slides that were often used in her department of education as visual teaching aids. She believes the messenger is offended that these slides are being thrown away since her department is now switching to digital teaching aids. There are over 300,000 of these slides, and they are approximately 8–by-11-inches in size and are colored in pink and blue.

The UA employee thought the caller must have gone through the dumpster and found some of these slides. There were no direct threats in the voicemail message. The employee believes the male is probably in his 40s or 50s. A UAPD officer asked the employee to forward the message either to his office department cell phone or to UAPD e-mail.

Keeping abreast of your alcohol level

A UAPD officer was driving down a street on campus at around 12:05 a.m. when he noticed a woman stumble from the sidewalk curb onto the street. As the officer passed the woman, he noticed that she appeared to be very impaired and under 21 years old.

Since another vehicle was behind the officer, he could not stop the car and had to turn around in a parking lot nearby. When the woman saw the UAPD vehicle, she quickly ran across the street.

The woman’s breasts were exposed from the sides of her tank top, and her bra was around her waist. The officer made contact with her. She pulled up her bra upon request and put her breasts away.

As the officer was speaking to her, he observed that her speech was slurred. There was also a strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth. Her eyes were red, watery and bloodshot. The woman denied drinking and refused to answer any questions. She was cited and released for minor in possession.

It’s not delivery, it’s DUI

A driver was arrested for Extreme DUI, as well as traffic violations, on Sept. 12.

As a traffic light near UA’s campus switched to red, a UAPD officer heard loud screeching brakes. The officer looked up and saw a silver car with the front end dipped down and the driver’s face against the steering wheel. Then the officer saw the car pull to a stop in a turning lane. The car rolled forward a few feet, then the driver slammed on the brakes again. His head fell forward again and hit the steering wheel.

Once the light turned green, the driver made a left turn. The officer followed him and noticed the driver go about a foot over the centerline at an intersection. He then pulled the vehicle over.

Upon making contact with the driver, the officer noticed the man driving was eating a pizza. More pizza was found all over the front passenger floorboard. The driver’s motions were slow, and his eyes were red and watery.

The officer asked the man if he had been drinking, to which he responded, “”No.”” He identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license and said that his wife had rented the car, thus he had no insurance or registration.

The man exited the vehicle after being asked to do so. As he closed the door, he lost his balance and his right shoulder hit the rear side door. He agreed to take a Field Sobriety Test.

Minutes later, he was arrested for a DUI of the slightest degree but was taken to UAPD to be processed by another officer. Following the results, additional charges of Extreme DUI were added because of the high level of his BAC or Blood Alcohol Content. The man was cited and released. His wife was contacted by UAPD, and she came to pick him up and take the vehicle.