Comedy tour hits UA today

The Jimmy Kimmel Live! College Comedy Tour stops on the UA
    campus today.

Students will be able to compete in a stand-up comedy competition, with the winner getting the opportunity to perform a stand-up routine on the “”Jimmy Kimmel Live!”” late-night television show.

The tour spans 14 universities nationwide, allowing 15 to 20 students per location to perform their material live in front of a panel of comedy competition judges, said Andrew Stanley, special events director of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

The event will include a small stage set up on the UA Mall from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for contestants to enter their routines. A College Comedy crew will record students’ performances, which must last between 30 and 60 seconds, said Tommy Bruce, ASUA president.

Students may also enter the competition by registering online to perform at tonight’s showcase performance or by submitting a video at Kimmelcollegecomedy.com, Stanley said.

The top 12 to 15 performers, as chosen by the committee judges, will perform live from 8-10 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center’s Grand Ballroom, Bruce said.

The tour ends Nov. 15, and the champion will be announced on an episode of “”Jimmy Kimmel Live!”” during the last week of November, said Ginny Edwards, a representative for mPRm, a public relations agency representing the comedy tour.

The tour offers additional attractions today.

AXE Shower Gel is setting up an interactive activity on the Mall with activities and prize giveaways from 2-6 p.m.

Additionally, comedian Jeff Ross will perform tonight in the Grand Ballroom. Ross has appeared on several late-night talk shows, as well as comedy specials on networks such as HBO and Comedy Central, Stanley said.

ASUA agreed to take part in the contest because it seemed like a unique opportunity to create strong student participation, Stanley said.

“”It sounded like the students would like it, so we decided to go along with it,”” he said.

The College Comedy Competition is a free event open to everyone..

“”We’re expecting a lot of great student involvement,”” Bruce said. “”It will be a blast.””

The tour stop gives students a medium to showcase their talents, an unique opportunity, especially, for the campus’ yet-to-be-discovered amateur comedians, Stanley said.

“”This is going to be a really entertaining event,”” he said. “”It’s fun, it’s free and we’ll get some good laughs, too.””