Police Beat

A man reported that someone attempted to steal his vehicle from the parking lot of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house, 1449 N. Cherry Ave., on Tuesday.

The man said he parked his red 2000 Dodge Stratus in the private lot the previous morning. When he returned, he saw that all the doors of his vehicle were open.

He looked inside and saw damage to the center console.

Immediately, he called the University of Arizona Police Department.

An officer also noticed that the dashboard had been cracked, the trim around the ignition was cracked and the center console below the climate controls was cracked with an unknown object.

The CD player was also damaged, and it was evident the perpetrator tried to steal the backside of the stereo but was unsuccessful.

The trunk had been opened, and the perpetrator stole the victim’s backpack.

The car was not equipped with an alarm, anti-theft system, GPS locator or any other type of steering wheel-locking device. It is unknown how the perpetrator forced entry into the vehicle.

Damage was valued at $175.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

The driver of a white 2002 Cadillac Escalade was arrested for driving on a suspended license at the intersection of North Euclid Avenue and East Sixth Street at 1:35 p.m. Tuesday.

An officer drove behind the Escalade and noticed its windows were tinted darker than the legal 35 percent.

The driver provided his information after being pulled over.

A records check revealed that his license was suspended due to a prior conviction.

A towing company arrived and took away the Escalade. The man was cited for driving on a suspended license and having a window tint darker than 35 percent.

He was released to his girlfriend.

UAPD and Tucson Police Department officers worked to arrest a man for driving on a suspended license and other charges at 8:45 a.m. Tuesday.

A UAPD officer encountered the man after spotting his yellow Cadillac. A records check revealed that the man had a TPD attempt-to-located order out on him, given because he had fled from a domestic violence and criminal damage scene.

The order also stated that the man was a gang member and that he had threatened officers.

The UAPD officer pulled the man over at the intersection of North Euclid Avenue and East Drachman Street. The officer had to tap on darkly tinted windows before the man rolled them down. The man was patted down for any weapons, and he said his license was suspended.

The officer searched the car and found a bat the man said was for a friend who plays softball. TPD officers arrived and charged the man with their charges, while UAPD cited the man for driving on a suspended license.

The TPD officers transported the man to Pima County Jail.

Police were dispatched to a non-residential building at 520 N. Park Ave. after an employee found a wedding band in a break room at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday.

He had sent out an e-mail to everyone who worked in the building but received no response.

UAPD placed the ring into safekeeping.

Resident assistants at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., reported finding a City of Tucson traffic barricade in a stairwell at 8:20 p.m. Monday.

They were unsure how the barricade made it up to the fourth floor, but they wanted to report it.

A woman reported that someone broke into her gray 2002 Ford Mustang and stole her car stereo in a parking lot at the intersection of East First Street and North Cherry Avenue at midnight Monday.

The woman said that when she returned to her vehicle she noticed her driver’s door lock had been punched and damaged.

She looked inside the car and saw that her $250 FM/AM CD player was gone.

She said she has no idea who broke into her car; police could not find any viable fingerprints.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.