Athlete of the Week

Marcus Smith
    Marcus Smith

Editor’s note: The Wildcat caught up with senior defensive lineman Marcus Smith yesterday to discuss his two-sack, four-tackle performance in Arizona’s 20-7 win Saturday over Stanford, as well as his old job at Sea World and the new movie “”Borat.”” His stops played no small role in holding the Cardinal to their all-time low in yardage (52), which also set Arizona’s school record for an opponent low in Pacific 10 Conference play.

Wildcat: What was it like for you as a defense, setting the school record and holding Stanford to an all-time low?

Smith: It felt good. Just to be able to go out and just execute, I don’t know when the defense has held somebody scoreless. I don’t think it’s happened since I’ve been here. So that’s a good feeling, especially in my last year.

W: Personally for you, it was also a big game…

S: I just got lucky a couple of times. Like (defensive tackle) Lionel (Dotson), he made the quarterback run around, and I happened to be over there one time. Another, (defensive end) Louis (Holmes), grabbed the running back, and it was supposed to be a screen play, and I happened to catch the quarterback. So I got kind of lucky on Saturday, but you know, I’ll take it.

W: Getting a first Pac-10 win, what does that mean for you guys?

S: We’re just trying to keep our season going. Like (UA head) coach (Mike Stoops) said, this is playoffs now. We need to win if we want to get to the postseason. So that’s just one step in where we’re planning on going. The first one is always a good one to get you rolling, but we need to get some more of them.

W: Is there talk of bowl games in the locker room?

“”If I wasn’t playing football, I’d probably still be working at Sea World, like I did in high school.””

-Marcus Smith,
    defensive lineman

S: No, we’re not saying too much. There’s little comments here and there, but we know if you get a certain amount of wins, you get a chance to go. That’s kind of why we’re saying it’s playoffs now.

W: Finish this sentence: “”If I wasn’t playing football, I’d be…””

S: (Pause) If I wasn’t playing football, I’d probably still be working at Sea World, like I did in high school.

W: Oh yeah? What’d you do there?

S: I worked at the front gate. I took the tickets and stuff like that.

W: So are you just really into sea animals, or how’d you get that?

S: It was right by my high school, actually, so it was a short trip after school and stuff to get to work. But yeah, I worked there, so I’d probably own like half of Sea World right now (laughs).

W: All right, a little bit of word association. Just say the first thing that comes to your mind. Bowl game.

S: Hoping for it.

W: Stoops.

S: Head coach.

W: What about “”Borat””?

S: About what?

W: “”Borat.””

S: (Pauses) No idea.

W: You know that movie?

S: (Laughs) No? What movie is this?

W: The guy from Kazakhstan.

S: Oh. (Smiles). Never heard of it. That’s my answer: Never heard of it.

W: All right, midterms.

S: Oh, man…

W: Oregon State.

S: We can do it.

– Interview by Ryan Casey