Zona Zoo may introduce school-spirit scholarships

Erin Hertzog, former president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, will have $1,000 scholarships named after her.

Starting next month, students who exude school spirit may be able to apply for a $1,000 Erin Hertzog Scholarship.

The details for the scholarships are not yet final, but there should be at least three given away, said David Roost,
    executive director of Zona Zoo.

“”We want someone who appreciates school spirit,”” he said. “”There are plenty of scholarships out there for people with excellent grade-point averages. We want to recognize the sports fans, like the people who get to the games four hours prior just to make sure they get a great seat.””

The scholarship money would be placed into the student’s Bursar’s account for the spring semester and can be used towards classes or books, Roost said.

“”If there is more money after the budget is figured, then we might be able to give away more scholarships,”” Roost said.

As president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona in 2006, Erin Hertzog began looking for extra money that could be used for student needs.

“”I brought up the idea to the athletics department to give ASUA a percentage of Zona Zoo pass sales to give back to the students,”” she said. “”The athletics department is not affordable or accessible for every student, and we needed more ways to maximize (the ways that) students (can) profit.””

“”The money we receive from Zona Zoo is placed into a permanent student budget to be used on more student programs and scholarships,”” she added. “”We wanted a way to bring Zona Zoo to students and thus give Zona Zoo the opportunity to give back to more students,”” she said.

Hertzog was the main catalyst in securing the funds from Zona Zoo to be used towards scholarships and other student programs, but the final proposal was also completed with the help of the Zona Zoo Crew, Roost said.

“”Erin was the reason Zona Zoo was able to secure revenue-sharing. Now ASUA gets a small share to put back into the program,”” said Tommy Bruce, current ASUA president. “”A portion of this money will go towards the scholarship.””

The rest of the money will benefit events such as tailgates and Bear Down Fridays, Bruce said.

“”The scholarship was named after Hertzog to recognize all the work she put into making the scholarship possible,”” Roost said.

The scholarship details should be worked out by the beginning of October, Bruce said. A listserv message will be sent out to all departments announcing the scholarship and how students can apply for it.

“”Once a scholarship committee decides who the three winners of the scholarship are, Erin will be the one to present them,”” he said.