Step Show celebrates Black History Month

A taste of ethnic foods, hip-hop dancing and an interactive trivia game were just a few of yesterday’s Black History Month events on the UA Mall.

Crowds gathered around the main stage of the UA Mall to watch Sexy Soul Divaz, a UA multicultural group founded in 2004, perform hip-hop dances and step routines.

A professional hip-hop dance group based in Tucson called the Human Project performed as well. The dancers’ freestyle hip-hop performance even elicited the participation of audience members.

The events were all part of Bridging the Gap, a week of events dedicated to connecting culturally diverse students at the UA.

The University Activities Board’s Eye on Diversity in conjunction with the National Panhellenic Council and National Association

I think everyone should be brought together. … It is important to represent your community.

– Wilbert Kevin Woods III, political science/international studies junior

for the Advancement of Colored People sponsor the entire week of events that aim to unify and educate people about diversity.

“”I think everyone should be brought together. If you look at the statistics at this university, only about 2.3 percent are black,”” said Wilbert Kevin Woods III, a junior majoring in political science and international studies. “”It is important to represent your community.””

In addition to multicultural performances, the night’s events also included a black history trivia game, a sampling of African foods, a slide show featuring prominent African Americans in history and a showing of the film “”Lean on Me.””

After viewing the hip-hop dancing, retail and consumer science sophomore Adrienne Haines said, “”I think it shows the community is diverse and can bring cultures together.””

Bridging the Gap will continue its week of festivities today with an open forum that will discuss issues pertaining to black awareness at 7 p.m. in the CǸsar E. Chǭvez building, Room 301.

Bridging the Gap will conclude Friday with a high school social event and a canned food drive at 9 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center.