‘Micmacs’ a medley of imagination

“”Micmacs,”” playing at The Loft Cinema through Aug. 27*, is a whimsical foray into the depths of the human spirit. From French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet of “”Amélie”” fame, “”Micmacs”” is guilty of delicious quirkiness. The plot follows Bazil (Dany Boon), a lonely video store employee whose life is upturned one night when a stray bullet from a drive-by shooting strikes him square in the forehead. Luckily — or perhaps by the hand of fate — Bazil survives; however, the conditions of his life after almost-death are delicate. Remove the bullet, and Bazil could become a vegetable; leave it lodged in his head, and at any moment his brain could implode, ending his life.

Bazil emerges from his confrontation with the afterlife into a different kind of afterlife. His job has been taken from him, his home has been looted and he has been long orphaned after his father was struck down by a freak mining accident in Bazil’s youth. Still, he remains optimistic and by chance meets Placard, an older, mysterious gentleman who introduces Bazil to a group of eccentric misfits living in a makeshift treasure trove of a home in the city’s dump. Through a twist of fate, Bazil is able to confront both the weapons moguls who killed his father and almost ended his own life. With the help of his new patchwork family, Bazil discovers that he is capable of anything.

“”Micmacs”” boasts a cast that is rich with talent. Dany Boon, playing Bazil, has a successful career as a comedian and his background in comedy is apparent. He is subtly funny, often miming and using facial expressions to develop his character.

Placard is played by acclaimed French actor Jean-Pierre Marielle, whose career is peppered with extremely serious, heavy roles and light-hearted ones alike. The latter is certainly the picture of Placard —  a French gentleman with a booming laugh. Also among the cast is Yolande Moreau, playing the matriarch of the cast of misfits, and Dominique Pinon as a daredevil-like, aggressive former human canon, but one with a good heart.

Though the plot is patchy at times and somewhat difficult to follow, the overall sense of fun uplifts the film and doesn’t beg for it to be taken too seriously. The characters are easy to become attached to, and the crew of misfits has an upbeat charm. Even the villains are delightfully evil. The film has an optimistic happy message about finding family and happiness in unlikely places and good triumphing over evil. It is also visually appetizing, with Jeunet’s imagination rendering everything from the characters’ clothing to the interior design of the settings in a whimsical edge. “”Micmacs”” is a feel-good French film and is definitely worth a trip to The Loft.

*Correction: In the Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2010 issue of the Arizona Daily Wildcat, the article titled “”‘Micmac’ a medley of imagination”” states that ‘Micmac’ will be running at the Loft Theater through Aug. 27. This is incorrect. The film had ceased showing at the time of publication. The Arizona Daily Wilcat regrets this mistake.