Greek Week begins anew after absence

Ari Lerner / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Joe Schwartz, junior business, TKE
    Ari Lerner / Arizona Daily Wildcat Joe Schwartz, junior business, TKE

a tradition of giving

After a one-year hiatus, the greek executive boards brought the weeklong philanthropy event Greek Week back to campus.

Ashley Batstone, Panhellenic vice president of programming, said members of last year’s executive board chose not to host Greek Week, though there were still other philanthropies that took place.

This year, however, organizers continued the tradition to promote greek unity while working together for a cause.

“”It’s something we wanted to do to bring back a sense of community,”” she said.

This year’s series of events include activities such as a volleyball game, greek Olympics, penny wars and a casino night, said Jessica Whitley, a Greek Week committee member. All proceeds will go to the Tucson Community Food Bank, she said.

Forty chapters are participating in the Greek Week, with about one-third of their respective memberships participating, Batstone said.

Organizers and volunteers participated yesterday in the penny wars, where participating teams competed to raise the most money for the food bank.

Teams were made up of multiple chapters, each of which had a labeled plastic container on the UA Mall and competed to get the most money from passers-by. The team names were based on the cities that have hosted the MTV show “”The Real World.””

Batstone said between $7,000 and $8,000 will be donated, but any other money raised will cover Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council costs.

Organizers raise money by charging $20 per person to participate, but some chapters contributed more money, Batstone said.

Lauren Baldi, vice president of the Panhellenic Board, said in addition to raising money and collecting canned food, Greek Week serves as an opportunity for bonding among sorority and fraternity members.

Organizers said Greek Week is also part of an effort of the greek community to challenge negative stereotypes.

“”It’s a time when the greeks try to make a difference and show the UA campus that we don’t fit the greek stereotype and do more than just socialize,”” Whitley said.

Baldi said she participated to support the greek community and had fun volunteering for the penny wars and the volleyball match.

“”It’s a good way to wrap up everything at the end of the year,”” she said.