Stomach flu spreading throughout university

UMC treated between 15-20 UA students that showed symptoms consistent with the highly contagious norovirus this weekend. The outbreak prompted Melissa Vito, vice president for student affairs and Harry McDermott, executive director for Campus Health and Wellness to e-mail UA students regarding symptoms.

The norovirus is not life threatening, but symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea. The disease can be transmitted just by being in the vicinity of infected vomit or stool and is contagious as soon as the person begins feeling ill until three days after recovery. However, certain individuals, according to the CDC, can still be contagious two weeks after feeling better.

The e-mail cites close quarters of college fraternities, sororities and residence halls as ideal environments for quickly spreading the highly contagious virus. The most effective way to prevent infection is frequent hand washing including the use of hand sanitizer wipes and alcohol-based hand cleansers. The e-mail also warns against sharing food, utensils or drinking glasses to prevent the spread of the illness.

Currently, there is no treatment for the disease, but the e-mail did advise students to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. The disease usually passes within a few days. If you are feeling these symptoms, please contact University Health or University Medical Center or further assistance.