Hoops Notes: Draft may affect APR

Marcus Williams
    Marcus Williams

Because of the NCAA’s Academic Progress Report, which examines student-athlete performance in the classroom, Marcus Williams must continue attending his classes at Arizona through the end of the spring semester even if he declares for the NBA Draft, as UA head coach Lute Olson expects him to do.

Schools receive two points per player, one for remaining eligible and another for retention, but Olson said “”it’s not a problem unless you lose two (points).””

Should Williams not go to class, resulting low grades could cost the team scholarships.

Low grades last year cost the baseball team 1.17 scholarships and the football team four.

When asked if he was concerned about Williams blowing off school to focus on preparing for the Draft, Olson said, “”I think Marcus, if he decides to go, owes the program and he needs to make sure that we don’t lose a scholarship as a result of him not finishing up the way he should finish up.””

Olson will be meeting with the NCAA around the Final Four to discuss changes in the APR as part of a coaches’ committee.

Budinger invited to try out for U.S. team

Arizona forward and Pacific 10 Conference Freshman of the Year Chase Budinger has been invited to try out for the United States 19-and-under team that will play in the FIBA U19 World Championship July 12-22 in Novi Sad, Serbia.

“”He’ll be given an opportunity to make that team and I think it would be a great experience for him,”” Olson said.

Making the U.S. team would be an ideal beginning for what Budinger hopes will be a breakout sophomore season.

“”Chase was quoted as saying he wants to be the best college player in the country next year, and I think that’s a realistic
    possibility,”” Olson said.

Olson said he thinks that because Budinger is so talented and was so much better than his opponents in high school he can get away with not giving full effort at all times. Olson said that habit would need to change if Budinger wants to reach his goals.

“”If you want to be the best college player in the country, there’s no time to coast,”” Olson said.

Two seniors prepare for their futures

For seniors Ivan Radenovic and Mustafa Shakur, the road ahead is hardly clear. Radenovic has been invited to take part in the annual East-West college all-star game as part of the Final Four festivities, while Shakur’s draft status will depend heavily on how he performs in individual workouts, according to Olson.

Olson said that he has met with both Radenovic and Shakur to let them know what the process is going to be leading up to the NBA Draft June 28.

The coaching staff will help them select an agent if that’s what they want, giving the players representation before pre-draft camps and individual workouts begin.

Incoming recruit Bayless to play point guard

Heralded recruit Jerryd Bayless will play point guard next season.

A multitalented guard from Phoenix St. Mary’s High School who holds the Arizona state 5A record for career scoring average at 28.2 points per game, Bayless capped off his high school career with a season that saw him average 33.1 points per game and carry his team to a berth in the state championship.

While his scoring ability would make him valuable at shooting guard, Olson said point guard is where he will be best utilized.

“”He’s played point guard probably 95 percent of his career,”” Olson said. “”I think we’ve been known for having guys at the point who can score and make assists.””

He compared Bayless to former UA point guard and current Memphis Grizzly Damon Stoudamire before adding, “”Jerryd will play the point guard position in the NBA, there’s no question.””

Tangara to play with Mali national team

Forward Mohamed Tangara has accepted an invitation to play with the Mali National Team this summer.