Police Beat: Nov. 24

Where there’s smoke … police will get warrants

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall on Nov. 15 at 2:18 a.m. in reference to a report of the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms.

Upon arrival, officers met with a resident assistant who led them to a room on the first floor. The RA stated that while doing hourly rounds, the smell of burnt marijuana was detected. Officers knocked on the door and a man answered. He identified himself with an Illinois driver’s license and told police he was a resident of the room.

Officers asked the man if they could enter the room and he refused. He then asked officers why they were there and they responded that they could smell the strong odor of marijuana and it seemed to be coming from his room. The man stated that his girlfriend was inside and when she had arrived earlier she mentioned the smell as well, but he claimed to not know why the room smelled of marijuana. Officers asked the man if he had any marijuana in the room and he stated that he did not. Officers asked the man if he would consent to a search of the room and he stated that he would not.

Officers asked the man and his girlfriend to exit the room and sit outside. Officers requested a telephonic search warrant, which was granted at 4:10 a.m. A search of the room revealed a bag of marijuana and several items of paraphernalia, including rolling papers, lighters and a “”blunt”” cigar. The man was cited on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released on the scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Who let the dog out?

UAPD officers were near Old Main on Nov. 16 around 7 a.m. when they were contacted by a university employee in regards to found property. The employee then handed officers an unleashed dog that was found on the UA Mall.

The animal had no collar or other identification. Police advised the Pima Animal Care Center, who arrived at 7:38 a.m., to retrieve the dog. Animal care was unable to identify the dog or locate any owner information. The animal will remain in custody of the Pima Animal Care Center until it can be claimed.

Vandals break windows at Biochemistry Greenhouse

UAPD officers were dispatched to the university’s Biochemistry Greenhouses on Nov. 16 at 1 p.m. in reference to a report of intentional vandalism. Upon arrival, officers met with an employee of the greenhouse who told them that an unknown person or persons broke two window panes at the facility. The panes were approximately 24 inches by 20 inches each and they both had one small hole in them, likely caused by a rock or other projectile being thrown through them. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Coronado residents ignore police, get in trouble anyway

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Coronado Residence Hall on Nov. 17 at 12:15 a.m. in reference to a report of the strong odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. Upon arrival, officers met with a resident assistant who escorted them to a room on the third floor. Officers checked around the door frame and were able to positively identify that the smell was coming from that room.

They heard several voices inside of the room and knocked on the door. The voices stopped but nobody answered the door. The police continued knocking for several minutes but the occupants of the room refused to open the door and make contact with police. The RA gave police the names and dates of birth of the residents of the room. Based on the smell of marijuana and their refusal to answer the door, the residents were referred to the Dean of Students Office for Code of Conduct violations.

Geriatric Romeo unable to woo younger woman

UAPD officers met with a female university student at the UAPD main station on Nov. 17 at 10:22 a.m. in reference to suspicious activity. According to the woman, she had been attending a Law School Admission Test preparation course on Nov. 16 at the Student Union Memorial Center when another class member made her feel uncomfortable. She described the other class member as “”a creeper”” and told officers that he was in his late 60s or early 70s.

She stated that he followed her out of class and all the way to her car, which was parked at the Second Street Parking Garage. She stated that once at her car, the man produced a Victoria’s Secret box, which he gave to her as a gift. Inside of the box was a $25 gift card. She stated that she did not know why the man would give her a gift and admitted that it made her feel very uncomfortable. She stated that she did not feel threatened but wanted to report the incident so that it would be documented. She told police that rather than have any further contact with the man, she would give the gift to her instructor and the instructor could return the gift.