Tucson’s University Boulevard preps for Super Bowl weekend crowds

Located+on+University+Avenue%2C+Frog+and+Firkin+is+a+pub+style+restaurant+that+features+great+beer+and+burgers.+This+restaurant+is+a+favorite+for+many+young+people+and+is+also+very+close+to+the+campus.+
Vincent Tran
Located on University Avenue, Frog and Firkin is a pub style restaurant that features great beer and burgers. This restaurant is a favorite for many young people and is also very close to the campus.

Restaurants on Tucson’s University Boulevard are hard at work preparing for the upcoming Super Bowl weekend. 

University Boulevard is a staple for University of Arizona students as its close proximity to campus allows for easy access to fun dining options. During the Super Bowl, energy is expected to be high as restaurants are offering fun atmospheres and great deals. 

“My favorite thing about weekends like this is the general vibe,” said Brittney Gregory, the front-of-house manager at Frog & Firkin. 

Gregory plans to stay organized by utilizing a reservations booklet to handle the heavy crowds.

With the Super Bowl taking place in Phoenix, businesses are anxious to see how the close proximity changes things.

“It’s always a big weekend and I’m kind of curious to see how the Super Bowl being so close affects business,” Richard Fifer said, one of the owners of Gentle Ben’s Brewing Company. “It would be a fun environment even if you didn’t go to the game, to just be in the area.”

Cate Springer, a bartender at The Blind Pig, is also a huge fan of these busy weekends. 

“It is fun to see everyone during the afternoons getting mimosas together. We love to see people be with one another,” Springer said.  

Those working during Super Bowl weekend anticipate a party on University Boulevard, especially on Sunday.

“People have great energy, especially during the beginning of the game,” Fifer said, laughing. “Sometimes losing changes that.”   

Gregory said she enjoys the high spirits that the Super Bowl brings to Frog & Firkin. 

“Everyone is coming in to have a good time and cheer for their team,” Gregory added. “The halftime show is always my favorite part, watching everyone get up and dance and sing together is always an awesome sight.” 

Many restaurants on University Boulevard are offering great deals to those who come to enjoy the Super Bowl. Gentle Ben’s is offering the first 100 guests a free drink and free eight-piece wing order, courtesy of liquor distributor Brown-Forman. The Blind Pig is offering 10% off all food items for those who wear Eagles or Chiefs jerseys. Frog & Firkin is selling buckets of Bud Light and $5 Nütrl seltzers. 

“Hopefully people come in and take advantage of the free drinks,” Fifer said. 

Gentle Ben’s is also working with Desert Diamond Casino to match any sports gambling up to $250. 

Visit University Boulevard on Super Bowl Sunday and join the party. 

*Reese Anderson is a student studying at the University of Arizona School of Journalism taking the JOUR 306: Advanced Reporting class. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter