UA student models at New York Fashion Week

Kevin Brost
    Kevin Brost / Arizona Daily Wildcat

New York Fashion Week, a fashionista’s wet dream, was only about a month ago. It was full of decadent couture, parties, celebrities, artists and models. One of those models is a student at the UA. Max Von Isser, a marketing senior, started modeling about a year ago, and it was essentially by accident.

“I was at Buffalo Exchange when one of the girls that worked there — and at this point I was a pretty frequent customer — asked me if I wanted to model for her,” Von Isser said.

The photographer, Stephanie Lew, was trying to build her portfolio with more male models, according to Von Isser.

“After that point more photographers wanted to work with me and it started to snowball until I got signed with an agency,” he said.

Von Isser then began doing fashion shows around Tucson, notably for the Art Institute of Tucson, and then another at the Fox Theatre downtown. He signed with an agency called Fusion and started learning more about modeling.

“When I first started, it was extremely nerve-racking,” Von Isser said. “In order to prep myself for the fashion show, I pretend to be walking backstage and make sure I remember all the instructions given to me for the walk, such as when to go, turn right or turn left. New York trained me a lot when it comes to my walk.”

On his three-week adventure to New York Fashion Week, he walked for the likes of Patrik Ervell, Siki Im, Duckie Brown, Public School, John Bartlett and even in the renowned Parsons MFA Runway show.

The schedule during fashion week was grueling for him, however.

“Those three weeks were exhausting,” Von Isser said. “Having a show was just a small part of the day. I had to wake up to do 13 castings in one day. On top of it all, I was in school at the time as well, so I would have to come home and still do homework.”

For three weeks he continued this. The first there were pre-castings. The second week consisted of castings and fittings for the clothing that was to be worn in the runway shows — and then, finally, the third week mostly consisted of shows.

“I wish I would have been able to see some of the shows that week, but I think most of them are invite-only,” said Von Isser. “Even if I wanted to go, my schedule was extremely tight. I didn’t have time to go out.”

His payment for working that week was a great deal of chic clothing from the designers, as most of the New York shows pay in trade. If he isn’t walking a runway for his clothing, Von Isser said he loves to thrift shop around Tucson. Even on a cheap college student budget, he still has fashion influences.

“I really look up to Paul Newman, James Dean and Robert Redford,” he said. “I try to keep things pretty classic and minimalist. Things are well-fitted but never tight.”

Though he wasn’t able to attend some of the other shows, his favorite looks were Duckie Brown and Public School. There may be a chance to see his face at the London Fashion Week shows as well, and he is hoping to do New York Fashion Week again. Who would have thought that a trip to Buffalo Exchange could result in a complete whirlwind of fashion adventures for years to come?

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Alexandra @alex82492.