Spring Fling Eats: Greasy, delicious and especially not nutritious

The annual Spring Fling carnival has served the Tucson community for 42 years, offering audiences the experience of a lifetime. 

With thrilling rides like the G Force and Haunted Mansion, and carnival games that bring out the cutest of the couples, Spring Fling never fails to live up to its amusement potential. Spring Fling also excels at another much-needed component: food and drinks.

Spring Fling attracts roughly 32,000 people every year. That’s a lot of bellies to feed. Thanks to eight year-round student directors who aim to the fortify the event, Spring Fling will present over 16 different student-run food booths to feed those hungry mouths. 

From funnel cakes to nachos, you’re sure to satisfy carnival cravings. But bring some spending cash, as those cravings can prove expensive at times.

Most of the booths that volunteer for Spring Fling are run by UA clubs and organizations. Each organization represents its respective foundations and philosophies while exhibiting an enthusiastic demeanor when it comes to serving the public some delicious treats.

Organizations such as the Sophos Sophomore Honorary will treat the oncoming crowds with ice cream sundaes, perfect for the rising Arizona temperatures. 

The Model United Nations will serve up some mouth-watering pizzas and Project RISHI will present a food stand serving up some oh-so-tempting nachos. 

Theta Tau will serve carnival goers some traditional carnival funnel cakes to add to the excitement. Pima Community College sophomore Alyssa Campas expressed her love for the Spring Fling funnel cakes.

“Every carnival needs a funnel cake stand,” Campas said. “Funnel cakes give that extra flair, adds a little something extra into the air. Last year’s funnel cake’s were on point. It made my experience at the Fling even more memorable.”

While these treats are delectable and satisfying, it’s important to eat at a smart pace. You don’t want to be that person who pukes all over G Force because of an extra plate of nachos. It’s also important to stay hydrated to combat the rising heat.

So, if you’re looking for a carnival adventure that offers a wide variety of delicious foods, check out this weekend’s annual Spring Fling. Your wallet may not thank you, but your belly will.

Follow Sammy Cherukuri on Twitter