Police Beat

Man goes into ‘lied-to-by-cops mode’

A man was arrested on charges of DUI, open container and an outstanding warrant early Wednesday morning.

Police pulled a car over after seeing that it was going excessively slowly and the driver was not using his turn signals. As police pulled up to the car, two beverages – one can of Milwaukee’s Best and one can of Sparks Light – were thrown out of the passenger window. Police retrieved the cans and noted that they were cold to the touch and about half full.

As officers approached the vehicle, they reported that there was a strong smell of intoxicants coming from the driver. They also noticed two open 16-ounce Mickey’s Malt Liquor cans on the floor in the back seat.

The driver asked why he had been pulled over. When police told him he had not used his turn signals, he responded by saying that the police were liars and that no one was behind him.

He was asked to step out of the car and used the door for support when he did. His speech was slow and mumbled, and police witnessed him swaying as he stood in front of them. The driver was uncooperative with police, saying that he was “”being lied to, and I’m going into my lied-to-by-cops mode.””

After the driver emerged from the car, police saw a six-pack of Milwaukee’s Best under the front floorboard. After running his information, police were informed that he had an outstanding warrant for drinking in a city park.

When police tried to question and test him for intoxication, the driver refused, saying, “”You fucking assholes. I ain’t doing shit.”” He was uncooperative and when police tried to talk to him, he laid down on the ground. He was asked to stand up repeatedly and place his hands behind his head. He stayed on the ground, refusing to move. After being warned many times that if he did not get up, there would be repercussions, he still laid on the ground. Police attempted to use pressure points to get the subject to comply, but due to the amount of skin on his neck, they were ineffective.

The man was again asked to get up repeatedly and warned that if he did not, a taser would be used on him. He was immobilized with a taser once. He was asked again to stand up but refused. After further warnings, a taser was used on him again. He responded by saying, “”I can take it; it ain’t shit.””

Three officers tried to lift him, but the driver made himself dead weight and was unable to be lifted. Another officer was called to help.

Once they got the man into the car, he was transported to Pima County Jail. En route, he warned officers that “”I go to school for free now because of the last cop that tased me,”” and, “”You better call someone else to help you, ’cause I am not getting out of the car.””

A corrections officer convinced him to exit the vehicle, and he was booked. The passenger of the car was cited and released on open container charges.

Woman attempts to use bathroom in UAPD officer’s home

A student was referred to the Dean of Students Office after attempting to enter an off-duty officer’s home Sept. 11.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer reported that he had finished working around 5 a.m. and headed home. After being there for approximately five minutes, he heard a knock at his door. The officer had not locked his door behind him, and when he looked to see who was there, he saw a girl with no shoes and unkempt hair.

She yelled at the officer to let her in because she had to use the bathroom. The officer said no, that he did not know her and she should use the public bathroom at the Circle K convenience store down the street. She replied, “”No, I really have to pee, and this is where the party is at.””

The woman attempted to make her way into the house. She pushed the door open and said, “”I really need to use your bathroom,”” as she tried to push the officer aside so she could get past him. The officer pushed her back outside and closed the door.

He said there was no party there and asked her where she had come from. The woman told the officer that she had crashed into some bushes nearby and was trying to find a bathroom. The woman finally left the property after the officer insisted she go. The officer decided to call the UAPD and let them know about the situation. They said they would inform the Tucson Police Department.

The officer drove around in his police vehicle and saw no car in any bushes nearby. As he was looking, he saw the same woman in the middle of the street, urinating with her clothes on. The officer went up to the girl and asked her if he could call a friend to pick her up. She gave him a number, but there was no response.

She informed the officer that she had lost her cell phone, shoes and purse and told him that she needed help. She asked the officer for a ride to her boyfriend’s parents’ house because they lived closer than her parents. Because she declined medical attention, she was taken to their house. Her boyfriend’s father answered the door. According to reports, he appeared shocked and disappointed. The officer gave the man his business card and asked him a few questions. He said the woman was in drum line and had gone to a drum line after-party. He thought she was spending the night there. He thanked the officer and took her into his custody.

While driving home, the officer found the party the girl had been at because of the music-related license plates and large number of cars in front of the house. No one answered the door, but he left a note with his card saying that he had found the girl and taken her home. The party host and girl both called and thanked him for helping her.

She was referred to the Dean of Students Office on charges of minor in possession of alcohol.

Woman attempts to ‘advocate’ for arrested man

A man was arrested for two warrants March 2 at 4:10 p.m.

While on patrol near the Park Student Union, a University of Arizona Police Department employee saw a man speaking to some women. The man matched the description of a person who was warned twice earlier in the day for trespassing and yelling at women. The man had been instructed to leave the area after he was seen panhandling near Arizona Stadium. When the man saw the employee he began to shake his fist at the man.

An officer responded to the area. He saw the man pulling a wagon on Park Avenue toward University Boulevard. The officer saw the man walk up to a female and speak with her. The woman looked uncomfortable and quickly walked away. The officer asked her if she was OK and she replied, “”Yeah, he just asked me for 50 cents.””

The officer made contact with the man. The man told officers that he had “”bad legs”” after giving them his name. A records check showed that the man had two warrants from the Marana Municipal Court for failure to appear. The man was placed under arrest and told he was being taken to jail for his warrants.

When the handcuffs had been placed on the man, an unknown woman approached the officer. She told him that she was an “”advocate”” and that “”this is a person, not an animal.”” The woman then moved within three feet of the man. The officer asked her to step back. She walked around to the other side of the man and tried to speak with him. The officer moved in between the woman and the man. The woman then demanded to know why the man was being arrested. The officer told her that it was none of her business.

The woman then moved back to the man’s other side, kneeled down next to him and asked him, “”Why are you being arrested?””

The man said, “”I don’t know.””

The woman then yelled, “”He has a right to know why he is being arrested! Tell me why he is being arrested.”” The officer informed the woman that the man knew why he was being arrested.

She asked for the officer’s name and badge number, the name and badge number of the police aide who was on scene and the man’s name.

The woman asked the man if anyone would be waiting for him at the jail and he said no. She then walked away.

The man was transported to jail where he was booked for his warrants. His wagon was taken to the UAPD station for safekeeping.

Man reports vision of serial killer’s true identity

A man went to the University of Arizona Police Department station March 11 at 6:54 a.m. to provide them with information regarding a case that transpired in 2001.

A non UA-affiliated man told police he had information regarding serial killings that occurred at Louisiana State University in 2001.

The man told the officers that the person who was arrested could not have committed the murders “”because people of African descent don’t do those crimes.”” He continued by saying that only people of European descent do that.

The man told the officer that he attended LSU in 2001. During that time, the man was in a bar and had been approached by another man who sold cocaine and wanted him to go in on a drug deal with him. The man said that he became scared and left the bar. In 2002, the man said he had a vision where he was sitting in his living room and the other man was there, killing an LSU student. He said the police had the wrong guy for the killings.

The man continually looked away during the conversation and pointed at the ceiling. He told the officer he liked to visit the UA campus because he was on disability and he does not work. The man was thanked for the information and he left the police station.

Green means stop for drunk concert-goer

A woman was arrested on multiple DUI charges, traffic obstruction and being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 6 at 1:31 a.m.

Police responded to the area of East Speedway Boulevard and North Cherry Avenue after a SafeRide employee reported that a woman was passed out in her vehicle. When police arrived, they saw a stopped, running car at a green light, facing eastbound on Speedway. When the officer approached the car, he saw that the woman was asleep, with her dress pulled up to her stomach and her underwear pulled down to her mid-thighs.

The officer knocked on the window several times. She did not respond, so he opened the door and began to shake her arm. Upon opening the door, he saw a three-quarters-empty bottle of Sailor Jerry Navy Rum on the floorboard of the passenger side. There was a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the woman and the car.

After about two minutes of trying to wake her up, she awoke, saying, “”No, Clint, not right now.””

The officer corrected her and introduced himself. The woman appeared to become more coherent. She was asked to pull up her underwear and pull down her dress. While doing this, she took her foot off of the brake and began to move forward. The officer put the vehicle in park to keep it from moving.

When the vehicle was stopped, the woman asked, “”So what’s that problem officer?””

Police asked her if she was OK and if she had been injured. The woman said she was fine. She was then asked if she knew where she was, to which she said, “”Uh yeah, I’m coming back from the Slightly Stoopid concert.””

Tucson Fire Department arrived to examine the woman. They determined that she was fine and left the scene.

Police asked the woman if she had been drinking. She said, “”OK officer, I’ll tell you the truth, yes I have been.”” The officer noted that her speech was slow and slurred.

The woman was taken to the median while an officer moved her car. The woman staggered to the area with another officer. She was then taken to a nearby parking lot for more questioning.

Police asked her if she would do a field sobriety test. She said, “”No, please, my stomach hurts from cramping.”” She then continued to tell the officers that she wasn’t feeling well because she had just started her period. When asked if she was refusing the sobriety test, she said, “”Honestly, I’m too messed up and too (much) in pain to do any test right now.””

The woman told officers that she had four shots of rum around 6 p.m. before going to the concert. After the show, she went to Chipotle and had a burrito and two more shots. She said she did not remember leaving Chipotle.

She said, “”Look officer, I know I shouldn’t have drove home, but I didn’t have money for a cab; and I don’t trust anybody in my condition to drive me home, so I just decided to drive.””

She did not remember passing out in the intersection or why her dress was up and her underwear pulled down. The officer asked her if she thought she did not remember because she drank too much. The woman said, “”Well yeah officer, isn’t that obvious?””

The woman was taken to the UAPD station where she was given a Breathalyzer. Her blood alcohol content was .188 and .171.

The woman was cited for DUI-Impaired to the slightest degree, DUI-BAC greater than .08, Extreme DUI-BAC greater than .15, minor under 21 operating a vehicle with liquor in the body, and stopping prohibited-obstructing traffic. She was then released.