Lopez amuses at TCC

“”Orele!”” George Lopez defiantly screamed out into the full house at the Tucson Music Hall on Saturday night as part of his “”Tall, Dark, & Chicano”” tour. Lopez was great at merging his Mexican cultural expressions with general societal issues in the country.

As one of the few leading Latino megastars in television, Lopez has starred in his own sitcom, “”George Lopez,”” now in syndication, and was a featured comedian in the 2002 movie, “”The Original Latin Kings of Comedy.”” Starting Nov. 9, on TBS, he will host “”Lopez Tonight,”” where he will talk with the likes of Jennifer Lopez, Carlos Santana, Jamie Foxx, Prince, Marc Anthony and Sandra Bullock.

The show opened with Brian Kellum, who began with a barrage of expletives and demonstrated that he was quite the funny, limber, physical comedian, reminiscent of Jim Carrey. Following Kellum was Jackson Perdue, whose slurring, laid-back style at times seemed too lethargic, even when comparing courting women to doing public relations work for sex.

But, the opening acts could not match the uproarious Lopez act. Nothing seemed off limits as he smoothly transitioned from jokes about his upbringing to Brad Pitt being an undercover Mexican — not to mention swine flu, President Obama, sex, the Balloon Boy hoax, etc.

When talking about parental fear for their children’s safety in his current neighborhood he uses a Halloween example, stating that there’s so much fear that trick-or-treaters showed up at his door at 2:45 p.m. in the afternoon. “”What the … “” Lopez said, as he reenacted his expression to the young kids by looking up at the sky and the daylight around.

He said that his family did not have costumes: “”Whatever our parents’ occupation was — that’s what we went as for Halloween. Muffler Repairman.”” 

Lopez closed the show with an anecdote about how he, as a young boy, was told by some family members that he could not be a comedian. We wouldn’t be surprised if they have changed their tunes.