ASUA briefs

ASUA looks for compromise on bylaw change

The ASUA Senate tabled a proposed bylaw change at its meeting last night that would allow senators to change the amount of funding for clubs if they disagrees on decisions made by the Appropriations Board.

“”This will add oversight to make sure the money spent is fair and equal,”” said Senator Steven Gerner, a political science senior.

ASUA has used this law in the past, but it has not been used at all this year, Gerner said.

Some senators were concerned the bylaw change would negatively affect funding because most senators do not or cannot attend the weekly Appropriations Board meetings and do not fully understand the complicated process.

“”We don’t actually get to see the faces of the club members and clubs asking for money,”” said Senator Jen Dang, a psychology senior.

“”This opens many, many chapters of debate and time,”” said Senator Bryan Hill, an economics senior.

Hill offered a compromise in which the senate can send proposals back to the Appropriations Board with a written compromise or ultimatum, and if the amount is still questionable the following week, the senate will have the power to change the amount.

Currently, the senate only has the ability to send club-funding proposals back to the Appropriations Board for more consideration. This bylaw change would enable senators to change amounts and approve them during their senate meeting.

Senators agreed to work on the proposal during the week and come to a compromise for next week’s meeting.

ASUA left with less than $5,000 to fund clubs

The senate approved more than $20,000 in club funding last night, leaving less than $5,000 to give out for the remainder of the semester.

The $20,000 is a compilation from the last three weeks’ worth of proposals because senators did not agree on the amount of funding in the previous weeks.

Senators expressed their concern for the lack of funding for the rest of the year, but most felt it was unfair to punish those who are requesting money right now.

“”I would be so happy to pass this if it was the beginning of the semester,”” said Senator Samantha Kerr, a pre-health education senior.

Kerr did vote to pass the funding, but said she felt “”torn,”” like most other senators, on how to handle the small amount of funding ASUA has available for the rest of the semester.

– Andrea Lerch