Police Beat: Oct. 21

Snack attack leads to vending sack

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spoke with an employee from Tomdra Inc., a vending machine company, on Sunday in response to a burglary. The employee reported that one of the vending machines at the Gould-Simpson building was broken into and all the items in the machine were stolen. The employee said he received an anonymous phone call at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday night. The person said the Plexiglas on the machine had been pushed in and all the items were gone. The employee examined the machine and said he did not yet know the cost of the repair or the value of the items inside. He arranged for the machine to be picked up and possibly replaced if it could not be repaired. The officer examined the area and found no evidence. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to Tomdra Inc.

Sticks and stones … break windows

A UAPD officer was on patrol near First Street and Warren Avenue at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday when he was flagged down by a man who reported someone had thrown a rock through the window of the Delta Chi fraternity house. The man said he was not sure who did it, but one of the other members may have seen possible suspects. The officer spoke to another member of Delta Chi who said had been sitting on the steps outside when he heard glass break. He then saw three men running westbound on First Street. The man did not see the men throw anything and could not identify the people who ran. The officer searched the area, but did not find any possible suspects.

Dirty dare

UAPD officers were on patrol near Highland Market around 2:45 a.m. on Sunday when they noticed a man who was swaying and staggering on his feet exit the market. The man propped himself up against a wall outside and began to urinate in public. The officers stopped four women from approaching the area and then took the man away from the area. The man had red, watery eyes. He was slurring his speech and his breath smelled like alcohol. He said he had five shots of vodka earlier and some friends had dared him to urinate in public. The man was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body and criminal littering for urinating in public.

Picture-perfect crime

UAPD officers were on patrol near First Street and Highland Avenue when a man ran by holding a framed composite of members of the Alpha Phi sorority above his head. When the man saw the officers, he turned around and ran northbound through the Highland Avenue tunnel. Officers caught up with the man near the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center and detained him. The man identified himself and agreed to answer any questions. His face was flushed and his eyes were red and watery. He was slurring his words. He said he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and had taken the composite from a sorority house with the help of a friend who belongs to the sorority. He said taking the composite was a just a prank. During a search, officers found two fake identification cards on the man. The man was arrested on charges of minor in possession of alcohol in body and possession of fictitious identification. The officer took the man to Pima County Jail. The composite was returned to Alpha Phi.