Police Beat: Sept. 14

Man recovers stolen bicycle

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to the Science-Engineering Library on Sept. 2 at 12:15 a.m. in reference to a stolen bicycle. Upon arrival, officers met with the man who reported the theft. According to the man, he had secured his bicycle to the rack at 6:30 p.m. before entering the library. When he returned at 11:50 p.m. his bicycle and lock were missing. According to police, at 1:48 a.m. the man called UAPD dispatch to report that his friend had located his bicycle without the lock.

Stalling on suspended license

UAPD officers responded to a motorist in need of assistance at the UAPD station on Sept. 2 at 4:14 p.m. According to police, the man flagged down the officers and requested help with a vehicle that would not start. A records check revealed that the man’s license was suspended. Officers were unable to help the man start his vehicle.

Skateboarders ignore warning, get cited

UAPD officers on routine patrol heard the sound of skateboarding near the Administration building on Sept. 2 at 4:23 p.m. Due to the high volume of foot traffic, officers were not immediately able to locate the source of the noise. Officers continued to search and eventually observed two men performing skateboard tricks in front of the fountains. Officers watched as the men then began speaking to a passing woman, at which point police made contact. According to the officers, the men were identified as students. Upon identification, the officers realized they had warned the same two students on Aug. 31 for the same infraction. Both men were cited for skateboarding in a prohibited area and their skateboards were confiscated and taken into police custody. Both men were released on scene.

Sometimes you just gotta dance …

Officers were on patrol northbound on Cherry Avenue on Sept. 2 at 4:45 p.m. when they observed two men standing next to a gate on the east side of Bear Down Field. According to police, the two men were dancing arm in arm, listening to the marching band practice. One man was holding a can in a brown paper bag. Officers asked to speak with the men and they agreed. Officers asked the man with the brown bag what he was holding, to which he replied, “”I’m not going to lie to you man, it’s a beer, I’ve been drinking.”” Police asked the man to put the can down and confirmed that it was a 24-ounce can of malt liquor about half full and still cold. Police disposed of the contents of the can and asked the two men for identification. A records check revealed that one individual was wanted on two outstanding warrants issued by the Tucson Police Department. As he was placed into custody, police discovered that the other man was also wanted on a TPD warrant and he was also placed into custody. UAPD cited both men on charges of third degree trespassing and transported them to Pima County Jail.

They left one wheel? Learn to unicycle

UAPD was contacted via phone on Sept. 1 at 1:44 p.m. regarding a theft.

According to police, a man called to report his bicycle stolen. He told officers that he had secured his bicycle to a rack on the north side of Manzanita-Mohave Resdience Hall on Aug. 31 at 4 p.m. When he returned on Sept. 1 at 11:30 a.m., he found the quick-release wheel still locked to the rack, but the bicycle was missing. The man admitted that he had improperly secured the bicycle. He also told police that he did not have a serial number for the bicycle and that he had not registered it with Parking and Transportation Services. According to the man, the bicycle was “”beat”” and he did not have an estimate of its value. He also declined to press charges.

Valuables left on CatTran turned in to police

On Sept. 1 at 2:55 p.m. an unidentified person turned in a shopping bag that had been found on a UA CatTran shuttle. According to police, the bag contained an unopened copy of Microsoft 2007 with a receipt showing its value to be $120. Also in the bag was a locker rental agreement bearing a student’s name and CatCard number. Police contacted the CatCard office but per university policy, were not able to retrieve an address or telephone number for the card’s owner. The CatCard office informed police that an e-mail would be sent to the owner advising him to contact UAPD regarding found property.

Bike taken, lock left intact

UAPD received a report on Sept. 3 at 10:36 a.m. from a male student who claimed that his bicycle had been stolen from the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building. According to police, the man told them that he had secured his bicycle to a rack on the west side of the building on September 2 at 2 p.m. When he returned at 5 p.m. his bicycle was missing. The lock was left on the ground and showed no signs of forced entry. The man gave police a description of his fixed-gear road bike valued at $500. Police have no witnesses or suspects at this time.