Police Beat: Feb. 19

Dumpster diving

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was notified by a police aide on Tuesday at 9:37 p.m. of a man dumpster diving next to the Fair Wheels bike store at 1110 E. Sixth Street.

The officer met with the man in a parking lot north of the dumpster and told the man he had been reported pulling a tire out of the dumpster.

The man said he was never near the dumpster and “”Whoever told you that was lying.””

The officer asked the man for identification, and the man refused because he said he didn’t do anything wrong and that he would like the speak to the police officer’s supervisor.

The officer’s supervisor arrived to the scene and confirmed the reasons the man was being questioned.

After speaking with the sergeant, the man gave the officers his name and told them the reason he refused earlier was because he knew he had active warrants for trespassing and marijuana possession and did not feel like spending the night in jail.

The officer asked the man if the bike on which he had been working in the parking lot was his. He said it was a friend’s, and he knew only the man’s first name.

When the office told the man he would have to place the bike into UAPD property until the owner could claim it, he replied, “”OK, whatever.””

A warrant check showed that the man had two active warrants out of Pima County Court for criminal trespassing and two active warrants out of the City of Tucson Court for marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession.

The man was taken to Pima Country Jail and booked on all four warrants. The bicycle was placed into property.

False panel conceals pipe

A UAPD officer responded to the Gila Residence Hall on Tuesday at 7:07 p.m. in reference to the smell of marijuana coming from one of the dorm rooms.

When the officer arrived to the dorm, he spoke with a resident assistant, who took him to the room from which she thought the smell was coming.

Through the door jams, the officer could smell burning marijuana.

After knocking several times, no one answered the door, but the officer could hear someone inside shuffling things around.

The officer called the resident’s name, and the man inside tried to open the door, but a red towel that had been placed at the bottom of the door got in the way.

Once the door had been opened all the way, the officer asked to speak to the resident outside.

The man inside the room told the officer that he thought the room might smell because earlier he had been smoking marijuana outside. He also said that there were no drugs or paraphernalia in his room.

After more questioning, the man said he did have a smoking pipe in his room. The officer asked the student to get the pipe, and when he went back into the room he said, “”I can’t find it, I think I left it at my friend’s apartment.””

The officer continued asking the man questions and the man finally said, “”I’m sorry, I should have been honest with you earlier.””

The man then took out a wooden panel in a desk and unwrapped a glass pipe.

The man was cited and released on scene for possession of narcotic paraphernalia. The pipe was placed into UAPD property as evidence. The officer also completed a Code of Conduct referral for the Dean of Students.

Woman cries fraud

Loss Prevention for the UofA BookStore called UAPD on Tuesday at 10:08 a.m. to report a woman who was involved in an incident of fraudulence.

The officer met with the woman who stated that a purchase had been made on her Bursar account without her knowing of it.

The woman said she was a UA student during the fall semester and decided to move back to Queen Creek, Ariz., once the semester was over.

While closing out her Bursars account in mid-January, the woman was told there was money she still owed the school.

According to her bursars account, she owed $227.05 for an i-Pod touch and a case.

The woman told the officer that, on the day the purchase was made, she was working at her job in Gilbert, Ariz. and could not have made the purchase herself.

The officer told the woman that the case would be closed because there was no evidence as to whom could have made the purchase.

A copy of the receipt for the iPod was made for the faulty purchase, and a copy of the woman’s signature was also taken to be compared with one another. The two signatures appeared to be different.

After leaving the bookstore, the officer called the woman’s supervisor at her job in Gilbert. The supervisor said that she had not been working the day she said was.

The officer also received an e-mail from the bookstore employee who made the transaction. The employee informed the officer that the purchase had been made with a CatCard on Jan. 28 or Jan. 29 and not on Jan. 18 like she claimed.

Because of the absence of video surveillance and further evidence, the case was closed.