Quick Hits

Annual hunger banquet is free tonight
    More than 1 billion people will go to bed hungry tonight. Want to know what you can do about it?
    The 12th annual Hunger Banquet tonight will educate students and the public about how they can fight against hunger globally and locally.
    The entire campus community is invited to attend the program. Admission is free, but nonperishable food items to benefit the Community Food Bank will be appreciated.
    The event is in the Tucson Room of the Student Union Memorial Center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Lecture today to honor award recipient
    The campus community is invited to the inaugural lecture of the Professor Leon and Pauline Blitzer Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Physics and Related Sciences.
    The lecture is today at 3 p.m. in the Physics and Atmospheric Sciences building, Room 201.
    The award was established in 2005 in Leon and Pauline Blitzer’s memory to recognize an outstanding teacher in the departments of Physics, Planetary Sciences, Astronomy or Lunar and Planetary Sciences annually.
    Leon Blitzer, a UA alumnus, was a professor of physics at the UA from 1946 until his retirement in 1985.
    Blitzer was well-known for his research in celestial mechanics and spectroscopy. The award serves as a tribute to his dedication to teaching and students for four decades.
    Pauline Blitzer was a UA alumna, a teacher, an activist in civic and charitable affairs and part of the Physics Department.
    Ke Chiang “”Johnny”” Hsieh was chosen to be the first recipient of the award. His lecture is entitled “”Helios has his Limits: A Space Odyssey.””
    The lecture is open to the public, but an R.S.V.P. is suggested. To R.S.V.P., contact Jerene Stremick, 621-4969 or jerene@physics.arizona.edu.