Spring break and midterms season calls for relieving stress through excercise

Darien Bakas
    A group fitness class offered by the Student Recreation Center called “Body Pump.” Taking advantage of classes offered at the Rec Center is a healthy way to relieve stress.

Stress is something that every college student deals with, but the way students go about relieving stress is different for each person.

Exercise is great for relieving stress, and luckily for UA students, the Student Recreation Center offers many different classes and resources at students’ fingertips for those who don’t hit the gym knowing exactly what to do.

“I’d say the class that relieves the most stress for me is Candlelight Yoga,” said pre-nursing freshman Danielle Costa. “Taking classes at the Rec helps relieve stress because it gives me something to focus on other than homework and responsibilities and things that sit in the back of my head all day. We meditate in class, too, so we get a little mental and physical boost and leave feeling refreshed.”

Liora Fiksel, a pre-public health freshman, agrees that Candlelight Yoga is a great way to end a long day of thinking and working. “It’s a relaxing environment to forget about everything that’s going on outside the room and focus on myself,” Fiksel said.

Fiksel also does Body Pump, Yin Yoga, Cycle N Core, Ab Solutions and Yoga Sculpt.

The Rec Center offers many fast-paced classes as well. According to education freshman RivaLee Ferland, classes such as Butts N Gutts help her relieve stress because she feels really good about herself after completing them.

There are also a number of dance classes for people to relax and get down with it including Modern Dance, Folk Dance, Ballet and Hip Hop.

Along with dance classes, the Rec Center also offers a weight-loss program called WildCat Weight Loss. This class allows participants to learn nutrition basics and teaches proper methods to get in shape.

“WildCat Weight Loss helps students relieve stress by teaching them various exercises that get their heart rate up and their endorphin’s pumping,” said WildCat Weight Loss instructor Michele Lauer. “Endorphins have been proven to be a natural stress reducer.”

Another similar program that the Rec Center offers is Strong Women. Strong Women is a class specifically meant for women to build their exercise mentality.

Another potential stress reliever available to students on campus is intramural sports. According to its website, the Rec Center offers intramurals in badminton, volleyball, flag football,soccer, water polo, softball, tennis and more.

Although stress can be hard to deal with, the Rec Center has a bounty of helpful resources for students to use to their advantage.

Follow Kelsey Ropte on Twitter.