In case you missed it: Our top five news stories of the week

Photo courtesy of Matt Hodgkins

A quick look at the Arizona Daily Wildcat’s top five news stories published this week.

1. Students argue unpaid internships can still be beneficial

By Maggie Driver

While a national survey shows there is little benefit to unpaid internships, some UA students say internships are valuable regardless of whether they’re paid or not.

The survey, found on the NACE website, showed that 63.1 percent of students with paid internships received at least one job offer, while only 37 percent of students who had an unpaid internship and 35.2 percent who had no internship experience were offered a job after graduation.

“I feel like even if you don’t get paid at the internship, you still get the same experience as you would if you got paid,” said Meagan McBride, a biology freshman.

2. UA Campus Pantry to offer second distribution of semester

By Meggie Kessler

The UA Campus Pantry will provide free food and toiletries to UA community members dealing with economic instability.

The pantry will be open Oct. 4, from 2 to 6 p.m., in the main conference room of the El Portal building for its second distribution of the semester. Students, faculty and staff need to present their CatCards to use the UA Campus Pantry’s services.

“It can be tough financially on the students to combat the prices of feeding themselves,” said Davis Bauer, co-founder of the UA Campus Pantry and a marketing senior, “so that’s where the UA Campus Pantry comes in.”

3. UA graduate student co-hosts new show on Science Channel

By Kasey Shores

Martin Pepper, a doctoral candidate at the UA, could tell you a thing or two about machete ambushes. He has survived four of them.

Pepper, co-host of the Science Channel’s newest show, “How the Earth Works,” premiering Oct. 9, is no stranger to the dangers that accompany research abroad.

“There was a mob that took me over in Ecuador,” Pepper said. “I was sleeping and minding my own business when all of a sudden they came into my tent with a couple of shotguns, a couple of machetes, and I thought, ‘I’m done.’ It ends up they thought I was some thief from the town over. When they saw I was a tourist … they realized it wasn’t me. They tried to put everything back neatly.”

4. UA Main Library sees first bedbug infestation

By Stephanie Casanova

UA Main Library employees were surprised last week to find their first case of bedbugs — an incident that cost the UA $3,500.

Paul Baker, a UA professor of entomology and urban extension entomologist, said there has been a resurgence of bedbugs in the last 10 years and a wave of them has come from the East Coast westward. Backpacks may have acted as carriers for the library bedbugs, he said. A student could have put their bag down in a location with bedbugs and carried them to the library, where the bugs then spread.

“Awareness is all we can do. If you become aware of it, you need to let somebody know,” Baker said. “The take-home message for the student population is: Just be aware of your surroundings.”

5. Safe Ride to provide free condoms for passengers next semester

By Emily Bregger

Two student-run organizations have teamed up to provide condoms for Safe Ride passengers upon request.

“Ride Safe” is a new incentive that will premiere next semester in all Safe Ride vehicles. The directors of Safe Ride and the Student Health Advocacy Committee are currently promoting a new movement to equip Safe Ride cars with condoms for UA students.

“Being on a college campus, we are not blind to the fact that students are going to be sexually active; we are young adults,” said Aaron Brussels, a pre-physiology sophomore and the executive board member on the pandemic and epidemic prevention team for SHAC, “We want to provide every opportunity possible for students to protect themselves from the threats that are out there. We are not promoting anything besides safety.”

For more updates on top stories, follow us @dailywildcat or like us on Facebook.