Police Beat: Feb. 28

Mutant Ninja Turtles go to college

A group of four people were arrested for trespassing in a sewer at 3:00 a.m. on Feb. 20.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was patroling Second Street when he noticed a group of people on Highland Avenue.

One of the men in the group was on the ground, but the officer knew that Highland Avenue was blocked on both sides.

The officer drove around to First Street and looked for the group but could not locate them.

He then saw movement on the ground and observed one of the men going into a manhole.

The officer yelled out to the subject to stop and ran over to the manhole.

The man listened to the officer and exited the manhole as the officer approached him.

The man identified himself as a UA undergraduate student and told the officer that there were three other people in the tunnels.

The officer shouted into the manhole, ordering the rest of the group to exit.

The group cooperated and all three came up the ladder and left the manhole at street level.

Once all four were on the street, the officer obtained their identification.

Two were UA students and two were friends from the students’ hometown.

The officer informed all four people that the public is not allowed inside the tunnels and that entering them is considered trespassing.

The officer cited all parties for trespassing in the second degree and released them on the scene.

The two UA students were also referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.

First American beer?

An international female UA student was cited for minor in possession and transported to the University Medical Center on Feb. 20.

A UAPD officer responded to La Paz Residence Hall after Tucson Fire Department reported a highly intoxicated female.

TFD was already at the residence hall when the officer arrived.

The student was sitting on a bench in front of the hall, leaning forward with her head down.

At the time, the student was unresponsive and there was a strong odor of alcohol coming from her mouth. There was also vomit on the ground near the student’s feet.

The officer spoke to her friend who was on scene.

The friend said that she received a call from the student’s roommate requesting that she pick up the student from a party.

The roommate called from a blocked number and the friend could not call back.

The friend picked the student up from an unknown house party near Park Avenue and First Street.

The friend called 911 after the student became unresponsive.

She was transported to UMC and the officer followed up at the UMC at 5:30 a.m. and cited the student for minor in possession.

Because the student was an international student, the officer notified her native consulate about the arrest.

The student was also referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.

Daddies duke it out over daughter

A domestic disturbance occurred at the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center on Feb. 22 at 6:42 p.m.

A UAPD officer responded to the pool regarding a disturbance between two men.

Upon arrival, the officer met with a man who was there to see his daughter’s swim practice.

The man identified himself as the daughter’s stepfather and said he was there with the daughter’s biological mother.

The stepfather noticed that another man, the daughter’s biological father, was also in the stands watching the practice.

The stepfather confronted the father and told the father to leave the practice.

However, the biological father had custody for the weekend and wanted to watch his daughter’s swim practice.

The stepfather confronted the father and at one point bumped the father with his chest.

The stepfather later admitted, “”I should not have done that, it just makes it worse.””

The biological father decided not to press charges.

The officer advised the two men to somehow overcome their bad feelings for the good of their daughter.

The two men agreed that their arguments were not good for anyone involved.

The officer later learned that the two men were involved in a similar incident, previously recorded by UAPD, and that criminal charges were not pressed then either.