“Down, but not out: Tucson’s perks”

Although out-of-state transplants have already left Tucson, many UA students stick around for summer school or just general debauchery. Tucson summer is definitely a thing of its own, and having just returned to T-town from a semester abroad, I find that I missed a lot of what our little Southwestern gem has to offer:

Delicious food

It’s easy to take our variety here for granted. But let’s be honest — everyone knows eating Mexican food in Tucson is practically a religion. Guero Canelo is fantastic for quick and cheap burritos, but if you want something a little more suave, try El Charro Café downtown — they invented the chimichanga (or so they say) and have more than 100 types of tequila.

Yoga

College towns are a goldmine for deals at yoga studios, and Tucson is no exception. Most studios offer two-week trials, student discounts, or both. Yoga Oasis is well known for Yogahour sessions, which are only $4 per class. Check out www.yogaoasis.com, for details.

Quirky shopping and entertainment

Tucson is full of antique shops like 22nd Street Antique Mall, and you can find beautiful hand-made jewelry at dirt-cheap prices, like Mac’s Indian Jewelry on Grant Road. Plus, don’t forget that you can find any obscure film you’ll ever want to rent at Casa Video.

Coffee

For procrastinating collegiates, caffeine is currency. Tucson doesn’t skimp on coffee shops; in fact, there might just be a dozen on Fourth Avenue alone. Epic Café is a local favorite, or Café Passé, which has great brews plus an outdoor patio for when it cools down in the evenings.

The desert is truly beautiful

Tucson is surrounded by striking mountain ranges and miles of untouched saguaro forest. Hiking in Tucson is choice, with great trails like Romero Canyon and Seven Falls, which range in difficulty.