Talking Points

ý

As an administrator, you know the state of the budget, but you also try to keep your people blissfully happy. In this situation, there’s no way to protect them from the possibilies – the students they see each day could be gone, their colleagues could be gone, the Xerox machine could be turned off. The reason that they came here may no longer be here. … This is the right way to go – I just wish we didn’t have to do it.””
    – Mike Hammond, head of UA linguistics department, on the impending restructuring of the UA, Sept. 10, 2008

“”Our economy, I think, is still – the fundamentals of our economy are strong, but these are very, very difficult times.””
    – John McCain, Sept. 15, 2008

“”Voters have scorned Washington insiders since there’s been a Washington, and politicians seeking to come to Washington have run against them for just as long. … If I believed that going over the Washington establishment’s head would work, I would be the first to board that bandwagon. But nearly four decades inside the belly of the beast, and a lot of study of the longer sweep of American history, have convinced me otherwise. … That kind of consensus is forged through the political process. It’s done by finding allies and building coalitions via intense bargaining and politicking. The skills needed are far more likely to be possessed by Washington insiders than iconoclastic outside reformers.””
    – Norman J. Ornstein, “”Defending the Insiders,”” Washington Post, Sept. 15, 2008.

“”Is it a sin to be gay? Should it be a sin to be straight? Or to use birth control? Or to have sex before marriage? Or even to have a child out of wedlock? Is our country so divided that the Republicans best hope is a narrow minded, media obsessed homophobe?””
    – Lindsay Lohan, MySpace.com, Sept. 14, 2008.

BARBARA WALTERS: What is she going to reform, specifically?
    JOHN MCCAIN: Well, first of all, earmark spending, which she vetoed half a billion dollars worth in the state of Alaska.
    WALTERS: She also took some earmarks.
    JOY BEHAR: A lot.
    MCCAIN: No, not as governor, she didn’t. She vetoed – look, well, the fact is she’s a reform governor.
    – ABC’s “”The View,”” Sept. 12, 2008

“”State records show Gov. Palin has asked U.S. taxpayers to fund $453 million in specific Alaska projects over the past two years.””
    – The Wall Street Journal, Sept. 15, 2008

“”New Mexico outplayed us and outcoached us and that’s why they won the game.””
    – UA head coach Mike Stoops on Wildcats’ Saturday loss to N.M., quoted in Daily Wildcat, Sept. 15, 2008