Hey, Barista: Savaya Coffee Market baristas love to educate customers on coffee

David+Raichlen%2C+associate+professor+and+research+scientist+in+the+school+of+anthropology%2C+lectures+on+An+Evolutionary+Medicine+Perspective+on+Physical+Activity+and+Inactivity+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+8+at+the+College+of+Medicine.+Raichlens+research+connects+modern+patterns+of+human+activity+and+inactivity+back+to+prehistoric+man+and+the+apes.+
Caelum Gay
David Raichlen, associate professor and research scientist in the school of anthropology, lectures on “An Evolutionary Medicine Perspective on Physical Activity and Inactivity” on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at the College of Medicine. Raichlen’s research connects modern patterns of human activity and inactivity back to prehistoric man and the apes.

The UA campus is inundated with coffee shops small and large to combat the caffeine cravings of the over worked and understudied masses. But where there’s the masses there’s also lines.

Thankfully Savaya Coffee Market is a short drive off campus, just far enough to shed the long lines of coffee-rabid students. With multiple locations and throughout Tucson, the stop on the way to work or school is more than convenient.

Savaya’s first location opened in 2009 and since its inception it has continued to grow. Throughout the years, Savaya has formed its own vibe making it a comfortable spot for people of all ages.

RELATED: Family-owned Big Heart Coffee puts all its profits back into the community

Megan Orr, the general manager, and Mario Latona, a barista, are just two of the proud Savaya Coffee Market employees at its Williams Centre location on Broadway Boulevard. Not only are they proud to brew coffee for “Savayans,” but also happen to be well educated on coffee and the shop itself.

DW: How long have you been working at Savaya Coffee [Market]?

Orr: About four years

Latona: Four years as well.

What is your favorite part about working in a coffee shop?

M.O: We get to play with coffee everyday, and the regulars here and the new people we get to meet everyday. It’s just a fun atmosphere and you meet really, really interesting people each day.

M.L: My favorite part is the people and serving such an excellent product. It’s fun working with it and learning about all of the drinks.

What is a customer favorite?

M.O: A unique one is Kafette, it is our Turkish style coffee.

M.L: I mean lots of people just get our coffee of the day.

What is your favorite drink to make?

M.O: The French Press.

M.L: Latte art is fun to make. You never get it quite right—sometimes you do and it looks really good.

What is one of your favorite memories?

M.O: I used to work back when it was one store only. I would say that it was the origin of Savaya. So the memories of when it was one store and watching it grow.

RELATED: Hey Barista: Find a respite from the daily grind at Presta Coffee

M.L: Probably tasting some of the more rare coffees.

What makes Savaya Coffee [Market] more unique than other coffee shops?

M.O: We try to be really down to earth in our coffee delivery. Where people feel comfortable learning about coffee because a lot of it is educating people—so much goes into one cup. I would also say coffee sourcing and sourcing green coffee and our large variety.

M.L: I think just the pride and effort we put into the different roasts. We understand that, you know, people don’t understand a

lot about coffee, they just know it tastes good. We really want to teach them about it and kind of explain there’s a whole world behind it.

Follow Brianna Lewis on Twitter.