Speaker chosen for graduation

Richard Carmona
    Richard Carmona

On Saturday, May 12, graduating students will hear one more lecture before they leave the university, and Dr. Richard Carmona has agreed to be the one to give it.

Carmona, a professor in the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health at the UA, was U.S. Surgeon General from 2002 to 2006. He graduated with his master’s degree in health policy and administration in 1998, and received the UA’s alumnus of the year award in 2002.

Last week, Carmona became a member of the Board of Directors for TASER International, Inc.

President Robert Shelton said he knew right away that he wanted Carmona to be commencement speaker, because he is a national figure with definite ties to Tucson and the UA.

“”He’s the only one I asked,”” Shelton said. “”I’m pretty excited about it.””

Shelton said he made his request even before he knew that the former White House appointee was going to return as a professor at the UA, and Carmona immediately agreed.

“”I wish I were that successful with all that I ask for,”” Shelton said.

Previous May graduation speakers include Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano and Sen. Jon Kyl (2003), Microsoft Vice-President Deborah N. Willingham (2001) and U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright (1999).

The university-wide commencement ceremonies will be held May 12 at 9 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. in the McKale Center.